What is so compelling in the superposition theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of determinism as an explanation for entanglement experiments and the question of why it is not the more popular opinion. The conversation also mentions a scenario involving an automated device and the violation of Bell's inequality. The missing link in understanding this topic is still unclear. However, the issue mentioned at the beginning of the conversation appears to have been resolved.
jinto26
My question is, if the determinism theorem is a good explanation, which covers all holes of the entanglement experiment. why are people still concluding its a 'spooky' superposition which is only determined by a measure and then somehow affects the other measurement.

What am I missing? Why is the more compelling, and more popular opinion not determinism?

It's the missing link in my understanding of this topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
jinto26 said:
Why is the more compelling, and more popular opinion not determinism?
Determinism is an explanation, but is it a good explanation?

I design a clever automated device with a polarizing filter and a chamber into which we can insert a billet of uranium; the device sets its orientation for each measurement according to the pattern of random radioactive decay in that uranium billet. I make two copies my design blueprints; one goes into storage on Earth and the other goes into something like the Voyager spacecraft . A few tens of millennia later the spacecraft reaches an inhabited planet, and these alien physicists build the machine according to the blueprint I sent them, including locating an ore deposit and mining and refining some uranium. Meanwhile my remote descendants are doing the same thing with the blueprints left back on earth. After a decade or so exchanging radio messages to confirm that both sides have set up their devices, some entangled photon pairs are generated and sent to both detectors (another few years) and then the results are shared by radio (even more years)... and it is seen that Bell’s inequality has been violated.

The superdeterminist explanation is that there is a relationship between the decay patterns of two ostensibly independent pieces of uranium mined and refined on different planets light-years apart and the BBO crystal we’re using to generate our entangled photon pairs. It’s possible - all three deterministically evolved from the same cloud of intergalactic schmutz a few billion years ago - but not especially plausible.

Likes DrClaude, topsquark, DrChinese and 2 others
jinto26 said:
My question is, if the determinism theorem is a good explanation, which covers all holes of the entanglement experiment. why are people still concluding its a 'spooky' superposition which is only determined by a measure and then somehow affects the other measurement.

What am I missing? Why is the more compelling, and more popular opinion not determinism?

It's the missing link in my understanding of this topic.
issue got solved!

Last edited by a moderator:
jinto26 said:
issue got solved!
How?

BTW, determinism offers a local explanation in some cases, but not all.

1. What is the superposition theorem?

The superposition theorem is a principle in circuit analysis that states that the total response of a linear system at a specific point is equal to the sum of the responses caused by each individual source acting alone. In other words, the total effect is the sum of the individual effects.

2. How does the superposition theorem work?

The superposition theorem works by breaking down a complex circuit into smaller, simpler circuits and analyzing each one separately. This is done by turning off all but one source at a time and calculating the response of the circuit. The final solution is then obtained by adding the individual responses together.

3. Why is the superposition theorem important?

The superposition theorem is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and analyze them more easily. It also provides a systematic approach to solving circuit problems and can be applied to both DC and AC circuits.

4. What are the limitations of the superposition theorem?

The superposition theorem can only be applied to linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must have a linear relationship between voltage and current. It also cannot be used to analyze circuits with dependent sources or circuits with nonlinear components such as diodes or transistors.

5. How is the superposition theorem used in real-world applications?

The superposition theorem is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, such as in audio amplifiers, power supplies, and communication systems. It is also used in the field of signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals in various applications, such as in image and audio processing.