What is some of the worst terminology you have seen?

• Thread starter rumborak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terminology
In summary, the conversation revolves around frustrating terminology in different fields, with the speakers sharing their "favorite" examples. The first speaker shares their dislike for the term "Cepstrum," which refers to a specific audio transformation and its variations. The second speaker expresses their annoyance with the term "generator," which is used in various ways in a representation, causing confusion and lack of clarity.
rumborak
I assume everybody here has seen terminology in their own field or others that produced a groan upon seeing it for the first time.

My "favorite" is in signal processing. There is a common audio transformation that does a Fourier analysis, takes the absolute value at each frequency, and then the logarithm. Well, the regular FFT gives you a spectrum, so this thing is called ... a Cepstrum.
Even worse, when you multiply each frequency value with some function, it's called a Lifter, because you know, it's a Filter on the Cepstrum.

*groan*

What's your favorite?

Physics news on Phys.org
My favorite is "generator" of a representation. What is it? The group element that operates? A basis vector of a representation space? A group generator, in which case the wording would make sense? But in which group: the one that operates or one on which is operated by, an induced automorphism? Or is it a vector in a weight space? Why did they invent a new name? Is it physically generating a new state? But then where does it reflect the representation? And which part of it?

I really don't like this sloppiness. Best part is, that often the users themselves don't seem to know, when you try to understand the question.

What is some of the worst terminology you have seen?

Some of the worst terminology I have seen is when people use the terms "theory" and "hypothesis" interchangeably. This can lead to confusion as they have different meanings in the scientific community.

Why is using incorrect terminology a problem in science?

Using incorrect terminology can lead to misunderstandings and inaccuracies in scientific research and communication. It is important for scientists to use precise and accurate terminology in order to effectively convey their findings and ideas.

How can scientists ensure they are using the correct terminology?

Scientists can ensure they are using the correct terminology by researching and staying up-to-date on the current accepted definitions and usage of terms in their field. They can also consult with colleagues and review scientific literature to ensure accuracy.

What are some examples of commonly misused scientific terms?

Some examples of commonly misused scientific terms include "theory", "hypothesis", "law", and "proof". These terms have specific meanings and should not be used interchangeably.

What should I do if I am unsure about a scientific term?

If you are unsure about a scientific term, it is best to consult with a trusted source such as a scientific textbook or journal article. You can also reach out to a scientist or expert in the field for clarification.