What is the Time Ordered Data set for CMB polarization?

In summary, the article discusses the different polarization modes observed in the Cosmic Microwave Background. E-modes were first seen in 2002 by the Degree Angular Scale Interferometer, while B-modes were predicted by scientists after the big bang.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
The Wikipedia article
says
DASI first detected the CMB polarization, and CBI provided the first E-mode polarization spectrum with compelling evidence that it is out of phase with the T-mode spectrum.​
A footnote [48] leads to
which says
Ground-based interferometers provided fluctuation measurements with higher accuracy, including the Very Small Array, the Degree Angular Scale Interferometer (DASI) and the Cosmic Background Imager (CBI). DASI first detected the CMB polarization,[46][47] and CBI provided the first E-mode polarization spectrum with compelling evidence that it is out of phase with the T-mode spectrum.[48]
Another Wikipedia article
says
E-modes
E-modes were first seen in 2002 by the Degree Angular Scale Interferometer (DASI).
B-modes
Cosmologists predict two types of B-modes, the first generated during https://www.physicsforums.com/javascript:void(0) shortly after the big bang,[57][58][59] and the second generated by gravitational lensing at later times.[60]

I was able to find some discussions about E-mode, M-mode, and B-mode, but nothing about T-mode.

I would appreciate any information which would help me understand what T-mode polarization is.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You have apparently been victimized by a typical triki-wiki ploy. T is in reference to the temperature anisotropy of the CMB. This is discussed on page 5 of reference 48 in the wiki article... "A given correlator output sample, or visibility, can be one of the four polarization products RR, RL, LR, or LL. These can be related to the fundamental CMB polarization modes T (temperature), E, and B (polarization) (37)." The wording is admittedly a bit confusing implying there is something called the temperature polarization mode T, but, if such a thing actually exists, it is not commonly referred to as 't-mode polarization'. To see a depiction of the various CMB anisotropy measurements, including T, E and B, see Figure 1 on p3 of https://arxiv.org/pdf/1210.6008.pdf. Hope this helps.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Hi @Chronos:

Thank you for posting the reference. I have been trying to to gain some understanding from it, but it is hard work. There are two things in particular which I think I am able to understand, but I cannot find it in the cited article.

1. How is the CMB temperature distribution over the sky represented? Is there some online database of this information that I might be able to access? I am envisioning some table of temperature values, or delta values with respect to the overall average temperature, organized by some sort of longitude and latitude with respect to some chosen equator and prime meridian.

2. I did not understand how the perturbations are calculated. I am envisioning some kind of 2D Fourier coefficient calculations, or possibly correlation coefficients. Do you know of any reference that describes the perturbation calculation methods used to derive results from the CMB temperature distribution data?

I am looking forward to whatever help you can give me.

Regards,
Buzz

You are probably looking for the Time Ordered Data set, as discussed here http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/cmb/pipeline.html. I'm unsure where this might be available, but, assume some diligent searching could probably turn some of it up. Of course this data has been 'cleaned', a vital step in its compilation. Nobody really wants to see data warped by galactic synchrotron radiation, point source contributions, or Doppler drift due to where the antenna is pointed relative to its direction of motion.

Likes Imager and Buzz Bloom

What is the t-mode CMB spectrum?

The t-mode CMB spectrum refers to the angular power spectrum of the temperature fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. This spectrum measures the amount of temperature variation at different angular scales on the sky.

How is the t-mode CMB spectrum measured?

The t-mode CMB spectrum is measured using telescopes and satellite instruments that are designed to detect and map the CMB radiation. These instruments measure the temperature of the CMB at different points on the sky and then use statistical techniques to determine the angular power spectrum.

What does the t-mode CMB spectrum tell us about the early universe?

The t-mode CMB spectrum provides valuable information about the conditions and processes that existed in the early universe. The shape of the spectrum can tell us about the geometry of the universe, the density of matter and energy, and the presence of any primordial fluctuations in the CMB.

How is the t-mode CMB spectrum related to the Big Bang theory?

The t-mode CMB spectrum is a direct consequence of the Big Bang theory. According to this theory, the universe began with a hot and dense state and has been expanding and cooling ever since. The t-mode CMB spectrum is a snapshot of the universe at a time when it was just 380,000 years old, providing evidence for the Big Bang.

Are there any recent advancements in t-mode CMB spectrum research?

Yes, there have been many recent advancements in t-mode CMB spectrum research. With advances in technology, scientists are able to measure the spectrum with greater precision and at smaller angular scales, providing more detailed information about the early universe. There is also ongoing research to analyze the polarization of the CMB, which can provide even more insights into the early universe.