What is Tau? Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

• Thread starter Plant_Boy
  • Start date
In summary: In one I read it is Mean Free Time between Collisions of Electrons. Another states it is Relaxation Time. Are these two definitions dependent on whether you use a DC or AC energy source?The equation states that tau is the time it takes for an electric field to decay (in ohms). The electric field is decaying because the electric unit charge is squared.
Plant_Boy
I'm reading a number of papers, journals, reports and what not trying to grasp at what the actual definition of [itex]\tau[/itex].

[itex] \tau = \frac {m_{e}}{\rho e^{2} n} [/itex]

Am I correct in thinking:
[itex] m_{e}[/itex] - mass of an electron
[itex] \rho [/itex] - resistivity
[itex] e [/itex] - charge of electron
[itex] n [/itex] - number of electrons per unit mass

In one I read it is Mean Free Time between Collisions of Electrons. Another states it is Relaxation Time. Are these two definitions dependent on whether you use a DC or AC energy source?

I understand from the equation as the mass in kilogram of an electron is divided by an ohm, kilogram meter squared per second[itex]{}^3[/itex] per ampere[itex]{}^2[/itex], times an ampere second times a number. The values cancel out to leave an ampere second[itex]{}^2[/itex] per meter[itex]{}^2[/itex].
Or,
[itex]\tau = (A s^2 m^{-2})[/itex]

So, one amp takes s[itex]{}^2[/itex] seconds to decay into an area?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did something wrong with the units.
The Ampère drops because the electric unit charge is squared.
Try to find the other mistakes. There are 2 more mistakes.

One note, if ##n## is the number of particles per unit mass, what is its unit?

Final hint, try to write it out in full detail using latex. That way it is easier to spot any mistakes you've made.
I had to read the words you wrote several times in a row be for getting it.

Plant_Boy said:
I'm reading a number of papers, journals, reports and what not trying to grasp at what the actual definition of [itex]\tau[/itex].

[itex] \tau = \frac {m_{e}}{\rho e^{2} n} [/itex]

Am I correct in thinking:
[itex] m_{e}[/itex] - mass of an electron
[itex] \rho [/itex] - resistivity
[itex] e [/itex] - charge of electron
[itex] n [/itex] - number of electrons per unit mass
n is the number of electrons in unit volume. An the dimension of tau must be [time]

Related to What is Tau? Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

What is Tau?

Tau is a mathematical constant, represented by the Greek letter τ (tau), that is equal to 2π or approximately 6.28. It is often referred to as the "circle constant" because it is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its radius.

Why is Tau important?

Tau is important in mathematics and science because it is used in many formulas and equations, particularly those involving circles and circular motion. It is also a fundamental constant in various physical and engineering disciplines.

What is the difference between Tau and Pi?

Tau and Pi are both mathematical constants that represent the relationship between a circle's circumference and diameter. However, Pi (π) is equal to half of Tau (τ), or approximately 3.14, and is more commonly used in calculations and formulas.

What is the significance of the phrase "Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more"?

This phrase is a reference to the song "What is Love" by Haddaway, which became popularized through a Saturday Night Live skit in the 1990s. It has since been used as a humorous play on words to ask about the mathematical constant Tau.

Why is there a debate between using Tau and Pi?

Some mathematicians argue that Tau should be used instead of Pi because it simplifies many equations and makes them more intuitive, especially in fields such as trigonometry and calculus. However, others argue that Pi has a long-standing historical and cultural significance and should continue to be used.