What is the accuracy of parking spacecraft into Lagrange points?

• I
  • Thread starter RobbyQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accuracy
In summary, the conversation discussed the accuracy needed to position a spacecraft into the Lagrange (L1, L2, L3) points and the instruments used to achieve this. There is a trade-off between staying close to the points and the fuel required, and sunlight is a major consideration as L2 is in the shadow of the Earth. The JWST orbits the L2 point, with a distance that varies between 250,000 to 832,000 km, and requires small corrections due to the unstable nature of the orbit. A video was also mentioned that explains the component forces involved in maintaining the orbit.
RobbyQ
TL;DR Summary
What is the accuracy of parking craft into Lagrange points
I often wonder what the accuracy is when dealing with spacecraft and wondered how accurate a craft needs to be positioned into the Lagrange (L1,L2,L3) positions. Are we talking plus or minus 1km/100km/1000km etc. It's just that the system is so vast and what instruments are used to achieve a good L sweet spot?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is a certain aspect of "how long is a piece of string" about this. How long do you need to be "parked"?

You can get an idea by looking at the orbits of Trojan asteroids. Obviously they have been there for a long time.

Likes vanhees71 and RobbyQ
RobbyQ said:
TL;DR Summary: What is the accuracy of parking craft into Lagrange points

I often wonder what the accuracy is when dealing with spacecraft and wondered how accurate a craft needs to be positioned into the Lagrange (L1,L2,L3) positions. Are we talking plus or minus 1km/100km/1000km etc. It's just that the system is so vast and what instruments are used to achieve a good L sweet spot?
You can have a look at this, a practical example.

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/about/orbit.html

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, Tom.G, DaveE and 2 others
RobbyQ said:
TL;DR Summary: What is the accuracy of parking craft into Lagrange points

Those three Lagrange points are unstable, so there is a trade-off between staying close versus the fuel required to stay there. (L4 and L5 are stable). A big consideration is whether sunlight is needed for power. L2 is in the shadow of the Earth. JWST stays near, but orbiting the L2 Lagrange point so that its solar cells will get sunlight. The distance of JWST from the L2 point varies between 250,000 to 832,000 km. (see this). If you think that is a lot, remember that the Sun is over 100 million km away.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, DaveE, berkeman and 2 others
FactChecker said:
Those three Lagrange points are unstable, so there is a trade-off between staying close versus the fuel required to stay there. (L4 and L5 are stable). A big consideration is whether sunlight is needed for power. L2 is in the shadow of the Earth. JWST stays near, but orbiting the L2 Lagrange point so that its solar cells will get sunlight. The distance of JWST from the L2 point varies between 250,000 to 832,000 km. (see this). If you think that is a lot, remember that the Sun is over 100 million km away.
Wow that's crazy. It actually orbits the L2

RobbyQ said:
Wow that's crazy. It actually orbits the L2
Yes. It is roughly following the Earth's orbit but it is farther from the Sun than the Earth is. My understanding is that the combined gravity of the Sun and Earth (the component in the direction of the Sun) balance the centrifugal force of its orbit around the Sun so that part is in balance. Then it can essentially orbit the Earth at an offset distance around L2 (since there is a component of Earth gravity pointing toward L2). The orbit is a little unstable so it takes small corrections occasionally. There is a lot more to it that I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and RobbyQ
FactChecker said:
Yes. It is roughly following the Earth's orbit but it is farther from the Sun than the Earth is. My understanding is that the combined gravity of the Sun and Earth (the component in the direction of the Sun) balance the centrifugal force of its orbit around the Sun so that part is in balance. Then it can essentially orbit the Earth at an offset distance around L2 (since there is a component of Earth gravity pointing toward L2). The orbit is a little unstable so it takes small corrections occasionally. There is a lot more to it that I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on.
Thanks. This video I found very interesting too as it discusses the component forces leading up to the JWST orbit around L2. And even this is simplified.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, pinball1970, Tom.G and 1 other person
RobbyQ said:
Thanks. This video I found very interesting too as it discusses the component forces leading up to the JWST orbit around L2. And even this is simplified.

That is a great video! Thanks!

Likes RobbyQ and pinball1970
FactChecker said:
That is a great video! Thanks!
I agree . Very informative. Also what's interesting (about 5mins into video) is that they keep it slightly Earth side of L2 so it has tendency to fall Earth wards and so the thrust burners to correct it back towards L2 are always Sun facing so as not to have to turn it around and get burnt up.

Likes pinball1970 and FactChecker
RobbyQ said:
I agree . Very informative. Also what's interesting (about 5mins into video) is that they keep it slightly Earth side of L2 so it has tendency to fall Earth wards and so the thrust burners to correct it back towards L2 are always Sun facing so as not to have to turn it around and get burnt up.
Euclid joined L2 too last month.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid_(spacecraft)

• Informative
Likes FactChecker and RobbyQ

1. What are Lagrange points and why are they important for parking spacecraft?

Lagrange points are five locations in space where the gravitational pull of two large bodies (such as a planet and its moon) balance out, allowing for a stable orbit. These points are important for parking spacecraft because they require less fuel and energy to maintain a stationary position, making them ideal for long-term missions or observations.

2. How accurate do spacecraft need to be to park in a Lagrange point?

The accuracy required for parking a spacecraft into a Lagrange point depends on the specific point and mission. Generally, spacecraft need to be within a few kilometers of the desired point to maintain a stable orbit. However, for more precise missions, such as those involving multiple spacecraft, the accuracy may need to be within a few meters.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of parking spacecraft into Lagrange points?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of parking spacecraft into Lagrange points. These include the mass and gravitational pull of the two large bodies, the distance between the bodies and the Lagrange point, and any external forces such as solar wind or gravitational perturbations from other bodies in the vicinity.

4. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of parking spacecraft into Lagrange points?

To ensure the accuracy of parking spacecraft into Lagrange points, scientists use precise calculations and simulations to determine the necessary trajectory and velocity of the spacecraft. They also use advanced navigation and guidance systems to make any necessary adjustments during the spacecraft's journey to the Lagrange point.

5. What challenges do scientists face when trying to park spacecraft into Lagrange points?

One of the main challenges scientists face when parking spacecraft into Lagrange points is the complex and dynamic nature of these points. The gravitational pull and external forces can change over time, making it difficult to maintain a stable orbit. Additionally, the accuracy required for parking into some Lagrange points can be very challenging to achieve, requiring advanced technology and precise calculations.