What is the amplitude of the electric field (laser reflection)

In summary, the problem presented involves a laser beam with a diameter of 1.30 mm and a force of 3.7×10−9 N exerted on a totally reflecting surface. The question asks for the amplitude of the electric field (Emax) of the electromagnetic radiation in the beam. The relevant formulas include I=(Emax)^2/(2*c*u) where c is the speed of light (3E8) and u is (4piE-7), and I= P/A where I is intensity. However, there seems to be a missing piece of information as the problem does not provide a power value. A possible solution involves substituting P(power)= F(force)*C(speed of light) and (
Wyoming Physics
Missing template due to being originally posted in a technicak forum
Problem we are looking at :A laser beam has diameter 1.30 mm . The beam exerts a force of 3.7×10−9 N on a totally reflecting surface.

What is the amplitude of the electric field of the electromagnetic radiation in this beam? (Emax)
Relevant Formulas...etc.:
I have the formula I=(Emax)^2/(2*c*u) .. where c is the speed of light (3E8) and u is (4piE-7)
I= P/A , where I= intensity

My attempt at the problem:
I am stumped because the problem would be easy if I was given a power although looking at the problem I am not given power, rather, I am given a force . Do I just substitute P(power)= F(force)*C(speed of light)
- Then from there plug (F*C)/A into the I(intensity) for E max.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm ... it seems strange they would assign you this problem without first presenting the proper relations. Are you sure you don't have a formula relating force or perhaps pressure (hint hint) to power or intensity, perhaps one that looks very similar to the intensity formula you posted? Ok, just so we're clear, did you ever discuss radiation pressure in class?

1. What is the definition of amplitude of the electric field?

The amplitude of the electric field refers to the maximum value of the electric field strength at any given point in space. It is a measure of the intensity of the electric field and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is the amplitude of the electric field related to the intensity of a laser beam?

The amplitude of the electric field is directly proportional to the intensity of a laser beam. This means that as the amplitude of the electric field increases, the intensity of the laser beam also increases. This relationship is described by the equation I ∝ E2, where I is the intensity and E is the electric field amplitude.

3. Can the amplitude of the electric field vary in different regions of a laser beam?

Yes, the amplitude of the electric field can vary in different regions of a laser beam. This is due to factors such as diffraction, which causes the laser beam to spread out as it travels, and interference, which can lead to regions of constructive and destructive interference. These variations in amplitude can affect the overall intensity of the laser beam.

4. How is the amplitude of the electric field measured in a laser reflection experiment?

In a laser reflection experiment, the amplitude of the electric field can be measured using a photodetector, which converts the electric field into an electric current. The strength of this current is proportional to the amplitude of the electric field and can be measured using a multimeter or other electrical measuring device.

5. What factors can affect the amplitude of the electric field in a laser reflection experiment?

The amplitude of the electric field in a laser reflection experiment can be affected by a number of factors, including the angle of incidence of the laser beam, the reflectivity of the surface, and the distance between the laser and the reflecting surface. Other factors such as atmospheric conditions and the quality of the laser can also have an impact on the amplitude of the electric field.