What is the angle between the acceleration and velocity when rotating?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angle between acceleration and velocity after one spin, which is 2π radians. The participants discuss finding the angular acceleration and using it to find the tangential and radial acceleration. They also consider the direction of the tangential acceleration and the correct angle to use in the equation. Finally, they suggest using unit vector notation to find the angle without a diagram. The correct solution is determined to be ψ=π-θ=94,55°.
bolzano95
Homework Statement
A body is circulating on a fixed circumference with radius R=1m. It moves with an angular velocity ##ω = \frac {k} {\sqrt{φ}}##.
Relevant Equations
Relevant equations are listed below in solving process.
CamScanner 02-11-2021 17.41_1.jpg
##ω = \frac {k} {\sqrt{φ}}##
What is the angle between acceleration and velocity after 1spin (2π radians)?

First I decided to find out what is the angular acceleration:
##α = \frac {dω} {dt} = \frac {dω} {dt} \frac {dφ} {dφ} = \frac {dω} {dφ} ω \implies ##after integrating ##\implies α = - \frac {k^2} {2φ^2}##
## a_t= αR = - \frac {k^2} {2φ^2} R##
## a_r= ω^2R= \frac {k^2} {φ} R##
## a= \sqrt{a_t^2+a_r^2}=...##

Because ##\vec{v}## is parallel to ##\vec{a_t}## we can use ## tanθ = |\frac {a_r} {a_t}|\implies## after evaluating for ##φ=2π \implies θ=85,45°##

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a diagram?

I did. I'm just not sure about the result. Unfortunately I have no solution manual.

bolzano95 said:
I did. I'm just not sure about the result. Unfortunately I have no solution manual.
You're almost right, but you need to draw a diagram.

bolzano95 said:
Perhaps you can post the diagram that you drew?

Posted above in the solving process.

It helps. Is the angular speed increasing or decreasing as this thing goes around?

If you look at the equation ##ω = \frac {k} {\sqrt{φ}}## I would say the angular speed is decreasing.

bolzano95 said:
If you look at the equation ##ω = \frac {k} {\sqrt{φ}}## I would say the angular speed is decreasing.
Right which means that the linear speed is also decreasing. What is the direction of the tangential acceleration for that to happen?

Likes Lnewqban
bolzano95 said:
Yes, and ##\alpha## was negative in your calculations.

If I increase the angle, then the angular velocity decreases but is still positive. So the velocity vector is OK as drawn.
The angular velocity is decreasing so I need a negative angular acceleration and if it is negative then is directed in the clockwise direction of circulation. The tangential acceleration is then parallel to the velocity but has an opposite direction.
The correct solution then is $$ ψ=π-θ= 94,55^\circ$$

bolzano95 said:
If I increase the angle, then the angular velocity decreases but is still positive. So the velocity vector is OK as drawn.
The angular velocity is decreasing so I need a negative angular acceleration and if it is negative then is directed in the clockwise direction of circulation. The tangential acceleration is then parallel to the velocity but has an opposite direction.
Flipping the angle from π - θ to π + θ will not give you the correct answer if θ is incorrect.
At this point I would suggest another line of attack that will give you the angle without a diagram. It's what I did. Write the linear acceleration vector ##\vec a## and linear velocity vector ##\vec v## in unit vector notation (polar coordinates) and then consider that the cosine of the angle ##\psi## between them is given by $$\cos\psi = \frac{\vec a \cdot \vec v}{av}.$$

bolzano95 said:
I get the same.

haruspex said:
I get the same.
I too get the same now. I had a sign error in my solution.

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity when rotating?

Acceleration and velocity are both related to the motion of an object, but they are not the same. Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes over time. In the context of rotating motion, the angle between acceleration and velocity refers to the direction of the change in velocity, which can be different from the direction of the velocity itself.

2. How is the angle between acceleration and velocity calculated when rotating?

The angle between acceleration and velocity when rotating can be calculated using the formula θ = arccos(a/v), where θ is the angle, a is the magnitude of the acceleration, and v is the magnitude of the velocity. This formula assumes that the acceleration and velocity vectors are perpendicular to each other, which is often the case in circular motion.

3. Can the angle between acceleration and velocity be negative when rotating?

Yes, the angle between acceleration and velocity can be negative when rotating. This occurs when the acceleration and velocity vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative angle. For example, if an object is rotating clockwise and its acceleration is in the counterclockwise direction, the angle between the two vectors would be negative.

4. How does the angle between acceleration and velocity affect the motion of an object when rotating?

The angle between acceleration and velocity can affect the motion of an object when rotating in several ways. For example, if the angle is 0 degrees, the object's velocity is not changing, and it will continue to move in a straight line. If the angle is 90 degrees, the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, causing the object to change direction but not speed. A larger angle can result in a combination of changes in both direction and speed.

5. Is the angle between acceleration and velocity constant when rotating?

No, the angle between acceleration and velocity is not constant when rotating. This is because the velocity and acceleration vectors are constantly changing in magnitude and direction as the object rotates. However, the angle can be constant at certain points in the rotation, such as when the object is moving at a constant speed or when it reaches the highest or lowest point in its circular path.