What is the angle between the velocity of and the normal to the racket?

In summary, for an elastic collision between a racket and a ball, the initial and final velocity components along the x-axis must be equal for the ball to not spin. This is because the line of collision is along the normal to the racket's plane. The initial and final velocity components of the ball along the x-axis are given by $$|v|\sin \alpha \space i - |v|\cos \alpha \space j$$ and $$|v|\sin \alpha \space i+(|v|\cos \alpha + 2|u| \cos \beta)j$$ respectively. Additionally, for elastic collision, the relative velocities of approach and separation along the line of impact must be the same, indicating conservation of kinetic energy
Amitayas Banerjee
Homework Statement
A tennis ball falls at velocity v onto a heavy racket
and bounces back elastically. What does the racket’s velocity
u have to be to make the ball bounce back at a right angle to
its initial trajectory and not start spinning if it did not spin
before the bounce? What is the angle β between ⃗u and the
normal of the racket’s plane, if the corresponding angle for ⃗v is α?
Relevant Equations
For elastic collision, the relative velocities of approach and separation along the line of impact must be same.
My approach:

Let us take two orthogonal axes: x, parallel to the racket's plane and y, perpendicular to it. For the ball to not spin, the components of initial velocities of the racket and the ball along x-axis must be same. Also, as the line of collision is along the normal to the racket's plane, the initial and final velocity components of the ball along x-axis are same.

Therefore, initial velocity of the ball: $$|v|\sin \alpha \space i - |v|\cos \alpha \space j$$

and final velocity:
$$|v|\sin \alpha \space i+(|v|\cos \alpha + 2|u| \cos \beta)j$$

Also, as the components of initial velocities of the racket and the ball along x-axis must be same,
$$|u|\sin \alpha = |u| \sin \beta$$.
Now, as the initial and final velocities of the ball are perpendicular,
$$(|v|\sin \alpha \space i - |v|\cos \alpha \space j)⋅(|v|\sin \alpha \space i+(|v|\cos \alpha + 2|u| \cos \beta)j)=0$$

I am unable to proceed. What to do next?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Amitayas Banerjee said:
For elastic collision, the relative velocities of approach and separation along the line of impact must be same.
It also means that kinetic energy is conserved. What does this say about the relation between the incident speed and the reflected speed?

1. What is the definition of the angle between the velocity of a racket and the normal to the racket?

The angle between the velocity of a racket and the normal to the racket is the angle formed between the direction of the racket's motion and the direction perpendicular to the surface of the racket.

2. How is the angle between the velocity of a racket and the normal to the racket measured?

The angle can be measured using a protractor placed on the surface of the racket, with one side aligned with the direction of the racket's motion and the other side aligned with the normal to the surface of the racket.

3. Why is the angle between the velocity of a racket and the normal to the racket important in sports science?

This angle is important because it affects the trajectory and speed of the ball when it makes contact with the racket. It can also impact the amount of force and spin that can be applied to the ball.

4. Can the angle between the velocity of a racket and the normal to the racket change during gameplay?

Yes, the angle can change depending on the type of shot being played, the speed of the ball, and the surface of the racket. Players can also intentionally change the angle to manipulate the trajectory and spin of the ball.

5. How does the angle between the velocity of a racket and the normal to the racket vary for different types of shots?

The angle can vary greatly for different shots, such as a forehand, backhand, slice, or topspin. Each shot requires a specific angle to achieve the desired trajectory and spin on the ball.