What is the atmospheric pressure on Pluto and how can it sustain gases?

• B
  • Thread starter John Dalton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gases Pluto
In summary: The atmosphere of Pluto is primarily Nitrogen, but there is a small component of complex molecules. As you say Pluto is far from the Sun, but it's orbit is highly eccentric, sometimes it's closer to the Sun then Neptune.It may be that these molecules are frozen on the surface when Pluto is most distant, but they sublimate to become part of the atmosphere when it's closer.Gasses/liquids do not have a boiling "point". They have a boiling point at a specific temperature or a specific pressure. Below the triple point solids can still sublime into gas.
John Dalton
The New Horizon reached Pluto in April of previous year.
It shown that Pluto's surface contains mixtures of various gases , such as CH4 and gaseous H2SO4.
Now , the query of mine is that-
Pluto is situated very far from Sun and is very cold.
Please someone justify me how can this gases be present on the Planet.
I am ready to read any explanations theory.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The atmosphere is primarily Nitrogen, but there is a small component of complex molecules.
As you say Pluto is far from the Sun, but it's orbit is highly eccentric, sometimes it's closer to the Sun then Neptune.
It may be that these molecules are frozen on the surface when Pluto is most distant,
but they sublimate to become part of the atmosphere when it's closer

Last edited:
Likes John Dalton
Gasses/liquids do not have a boiling "point". The have a boiling point at a specific temperature or a specific pressure. Below the triple point solids can still sublime into gas.

Likes John Dalton
Thanks to both of you.
I got a basic idea of this presence of gases.
It is due to sublimation.
Please don't mind , I have a query-
Are the gases volatile ?

John Dalton said:
Are the gases volatile ?
Can you clarify what you mean when you ask whether a gas is volatile? Normally, one would say that a liquid (or solid) is volatile or not based on how readily it will evaporate (or sublimate).

Sorry jbriggs444, I asked a wrong query I initially.
I meant to say that what is atmospheric pressure on the Pluto.
I think this is a strange question.
But I need to know this to conclude that the presence of gases on Pluto is due to sublimation.
(According to Stefan r stating that-
stefan r said:
Gasses/liquids do not have a boiling "point". The have a boiling point at a specific temperature or a specific pressure. Below the triple point solids can still sublime into gas.

John Dalton said:
what is atmospheric pressure on the Pluto.
Apparently the New Horizons spacecraft was equipped to obtain a fairly accurate measurement for that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Pluto
Surface pressure of the atmosphere of Pluto, measured by New Horizons in 2015, is about 1 Pa (10 μbar), roughly 100,000 times less than Earth's atmospheric pressure.

1. What gases are present on Pluto?

The most abundant gas on Pluto is nitrogen, followed by methane and carbon monoxide.

2. How do scientists know about the gases on Pluto?

Scientists use data collected from spacecrafts, such as New Horizons, to analyze the atmosphere of Pluto and determine the presence of gases.

3. Why is the presence of gases on Pluto significant?

The presence of gases on Pluto helps scientists understand the composition and evolution of the dwarf planet.

4. Are there any rare or unexpected gases on Pluto?

Scientists have also detected trace amounts of ethane, acetylene, and ethylene on Pluto, which were unexpected and rare findings.

5. How do the gases on Pluto compare to those on other planets?

Pluto's atmosphere is much thinner than that of Earth or other gas giants like Jupiter, but it still plays a significant role in shaping the planet's surface and influencing its climate.