What is the average drag force on a softball pitched at 99.6 km/hr?

In summary, the softball has a mass of 0.250 kg, and when it is pitched at 99.6 km/hr, it may have slowed by 10.8%. Neglecting gravity, the average force of air resistance is 1.29 N.
kopinator
A softball having a mass of 0.250 kg is pitched at 99.6 km/hr. By the time it reaches the plate, it may have slowed by 10.8 percent. Neglecting gravity, estimate the average force of air resistance during a pitch, if the distance between the plate and the pitcher is 15.2 m.

F=ma
Fdrag=(1/2)pACv^2 p=density, A=cross sectional area, C=drag coefficient
Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2a(X-xi)

I converted the velocity into m/s and and then found the final velocity as it reached 15.2 m and plugged them into the 3rd equation to find the acceleration. After that I used F=ma knowing the acceleration and mass. This still wasnt right.

Physics news on Phys.org
kopinator said:
I converted the velocity into m/s and and then found the final velocity as it reached 15.2 m and plugged them into the 3rd equation to find the acceleration. After that I used F=ma knowing the acceleration and mass. This still wasnt right.
Sounds right to me. Show the details of your calculations.

99.6 km/h=27.67 m/s
27.67 x 10.8%=2.98836
27.67(Vi) - 2.98836=24.68 m/s approx.(Vf)
(24.68^2)=(27.67^2) + 2a(0-15.2) solve for a
a=5.148898026 or 5.15 m/s^2
F=ma
F=(.250kg)(5.15 m/s^2)=1.29 N

I'd say that your work and your answer look correct.

What does it mean to say "average force"? It could be an average over distance, ∫F.ds/Δs, or an average over time, ∫F.dt/Δt. If the force is not constant, these will generally produce different answers.
To me, average over time is the more natural interpretation. It certainly fits better with the usual meanings of average velocity and average acceleration. A well written question tells you which is meant; some questions only give you enough information to calculate one; here (using the drag formula quoted in the OP) you have enough for both.
It only makes a tiny difference here. I get 1.2835N, compared with 1.2862 for average over distance. But rounding to 3 sig figs that's 1.28 instead of 1.29, so maybe that's enough.

I figured it out. I used the longer way to find the answer using W=deltaK. The answer is -1.29 N. I had the right number but not the right sign. Thanks for your help!

1. What is average drag force?

Average drag force is a type of force that acts upon an object as it moves through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the resistance of the fluid against the object's movement and is always in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

2. How is average drag force calculated?

Average drag force can be calculated by multiplying the drag coefficient (a dimensionless number that represents the object's shape and surface texture) by the fluid density, the object's velocity squared, and the reference area (a measure of the object's cross-sectional area in the direction of motion).

3. What factors affect the magnitude of average drag force?

The magnitude of average drag force is affected by several factors, including the object's shape, size, and surface texture, the fluid's density and viscosity, and the object's velocity. An increase in any of these factors will result in a higher average drag force.

4. How does average drag force impact an object's motion?

Average drag force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and causes it to slow down or change direction. This force can significantly impact an object's motion, especially at high speeds, and must be taken into account in many scientific and engineering applications.

5. Can average drag force be reduced?

Yes, average drag force can be reduced by modifying the object's shape, size, and surface texture to minimize its drag coefficient. Other methods such as using lubricants or streamlining the object's motion can also help to reduce average drag force.