What is the Basis for a Row Reduced 3x3 Matrix in Linear Algebra?

• Thread starter fellupahill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, the conversation discusses a potential contest involving linear algebra and row reduction of a 3x3 matrix to the identity matrix. The question asks for a basis of the matrix and provides a hint about complex eigenvalues. The poster also mentions difficulty creating a post in the homework section and the embarrassment of the contest prize.
fellupahill
Long story. Not a homework question, tho sometimes I think the person running the contest would think to use a forum contest to do his coursework. But it's not.

Topic: Linear algebra.

If no one gets it right after 3 days then we can use any means to get the question right, now becomes a race.

Row reduce a 3x3 matrix A to the identity matrix.What is a basis for the matrix?
hint:
(Diagnose a 3x3 matrix over complex numbers and 2 of the complex eigenvalues are row reducing to identity matrices when you do A-lambda*I (where lambda is the eigenvalue

Not copied directly, doing on my phone so sorry for the terrible grammar. And I can't, well more like I don't want to, tell you the prize of the contest, its super nerdy and embarrassing. Maybe not as bad as I think considering I am on a physics forum and there are probably a lot of WoW nerds, but now that I think about it, its worse than world or warcraft.

Edit: btw, I was going to put in homework section just cause it sounded like a homework question (and figuring people have more sympathy for a student and would respond quicker :p but it wouldn't let me start a topic. Search function would tell me but my phone is a pain so anyone care to tell a noob if its my phone messing up or is there a post count needed to use homework section?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fellupahill said:
Long story. Not a homework question, tho sometimes I think the person running the contest would think to use a forum contest to do his coursework. But it's not.

Topic: Linear algebra.

If no one gets it right after 3 days then we can use any means to get the question right, now becomes a race.

Row reduce a 3x3 matrix A to the identity matrix.What is a basis for the matrix?
hint:
(Diagnose a 3x3 matrix over complex numbers and 2 of the complex eigenvalues are row reducing to identity matrices when you do A-lambda*I (where lambda is the eigenvalue

Not copied directly, doing on my phone so sorry for the terrible grammar. And I can't, well more like I don't want to, tell you the prize of the contest, its super nerdy and embarrassing. Maybe not as bad as I think considering I am on a physics forum and there are probably a lot of WoW nerds, but now that I think about it, its worse than world or warcraft.

Edit: btw, I was going to put in homework section just cause it sounded like a homework question (and figuring people have more sympathy for a student and would respond quicker :p but it wouldn't let me start a topic. Search function would tell me but my phone is a pain so anyone care to tell a noob if its my phone messing up or is there a post count needed to use homework section?

We generally do not allow contest-type questions on the PF, for the reason that you mention.

It does not take any post count to post in the Homework Help forums. However, contest-type questions are generally not allowed there either. Posters should fill out the Homework Help Template provided, including the Relevant Equations and Attempt at a Solution.

Related to What is the Basis for a Row Reduced 3x3 Matrix in Linear Algebra?

What is "trivia" from a forum?

"Trivia" from a forum refers to the random bits of information or fun facts that are shared and discussed among members of an online forum. These can range from obscure historical facts to interesting pop culture references.

Why is "trivia" popular on forums?

Trivia is popular on forums because it is a fun and easy way for members to engage with each other and share their knowledge on various topics. It also adds an element of entertainment and breaks up the more serious discussions on the forum.

How do members come up with "trivia" to share on forums?

Members come up with trivia to share on forums through their own personal interests and research, as well as by browsing the internet and discovering interesting tidbits of information. Some forums may also have specific sections or threads dedicated to sharing trivia.

What are the benefits of sharing and discussing "trivia" on forums?

The benefits of sharing and discussing trivia on forums include building a sense of community among members, expanding one's knowledge and learning new things, and providing a fun and lighthearted break from more serious discussions. It can also lead to interesting discussions and debates among members.

Is there a downside to "trivia" on forums?

One potential downside of "trivia" on forums is that it may distract from more important or relevant discussions and topics. It is important for members to strike a balance between participating in trivia and contributing to the overall purpose and goals of the forum.