What is the benefit of measuring both direct and reverse current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of measuring voltage in both directions and how it can nullify the effect of resistance in connecting wires. There is a mention of the importance of verifying measurements and the use of a 4-wire or kelvin connection. However, there is a lack of context and a diagram to fully understand the conversation. Additionally, it is mentioned that measuring in both directions can also help identify stray current in a facility.
phymath7
TL;DR Summary
Why do we have to measure low resistance (in method of fall of potential )and galvanometer resistance (method of half-deflection ) for both direct and reverse current?
What is it's benefit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Who says we do ? Do you have a reference, some context. a link ?

Likes DaveE, berkeman and nasu
BvU said:
Who says we do ? Do you have a reference, some context. a link ?
I don't have reference from any higher level practical book but from a local writter of my country.So I am not providing reference as I think that won't be considered worthy.But my teacher said that it's done to nullify the effect of resistance of the connecting wires.I am not sure how that works.

phymath7 said:
I don't have reference from any higher level practical book but from a local writter of my country.So I am not providing reference as I think that won't be considered worthy.But my teacher said that it's done to nullify the effect of resistance of the connecting wires.I am not sure how that works.
That doesn't make sense to me either. It would be a good way of identifying voltages that don't depend on the current direction, like a voltage offset from a battery, or voltages that depend too much on polarity, like a diode in the circuit. It's also just a good sanity check of the instrument and the circuit being tested. The answer should usually be the same, if it's not, more investigation is needed.

In general, good lab practice is to try and verify your measurements with a slightly (or vary) different setups that shouldn't matter, because sometimes your assumptions, instruments, or measurements are wrong.

BTW, if you do want to correct for the lead resistance, you can just measure "0" resistance by putting the probes on the same conductor and subtract that from your measurement. An even better way is to do a 4-wire or kelvin connection, which requires a bit more than just simple ohm-meter.

Likes Dullard
phymath7 said:
But my teacher said that it's done to nullify the effect of resistance of the connecting wires.I am not sure how that works.
You haven't given us adequate context to understand what's being said. What connecting wires? What do they connect? Can you show us a diagram?

What @DaveE said. The 'both directions' process will also indicate the presence of 'stray current' - that isn't uncommon when measuring grounds in a facility with existing energized equipment - it can significantly skew your result if you don't know that it's there. Once identified, it can usually be dealt with arithmetically (or by turning off some equipment).

1. What is the difference between direct and reverse current?

Direct current (DC) flows in one direction only, while reverse current (AC) alternates direction periodically.

2. How is direct current generated?

Direct current is typically generated through chemical reactions, such as in batteries, or through the use of a rectifier to convert AC to DC.

3. What are the main applications of direct current?

Direct current is commonly used in electronic devices, such as cell phones and computers, as well as in power transmission over long distances.

4. Is direct current more efficient than reverse current?

In terms of power transmission, direct current is more efficient as it experiences less energy loss due to resistance. However, AC is more efficient for long-distance transmission due to its ability to be easily converted to higher or lower voltages.

5. Can direct current be converted to reverse current?

Yes, direct current can be converted to reverse current through the use of an inverter, which changes the direction of the current flow. This is commonly used in household appliances and solar energy systems.