What is the best durable material for making a blimp robot?

In summary: If you found a material that were ultra-light-weight AND durable, you could drop your personal project and have people beating a path to your door to throw money at you for the material alone.
jack476
I'm trying to make a blimp robot, I want to get into the drone-building hobby but right now a quadrotor is too expensive, plus I want to be a bit more original.

I need something that I can make the balloon out of that won't leak (so I don't have to refill it often) and reasonably durable, enough to resist, say, accidentally being blown into a tree branch (though it's probably mostly going to be used indoors or on very calm days).

Thank you for any help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Because of the square-cube relation, very small balloons or blimps are too heavy...

Theses look like they're made out of the same material that regular helium balloons are:

NTW said:
Because of the square-cube relation, very small balloons or blimps are too heavy...

I don't mean tiny. The project I have in mind would be a few feet in length, and...

billy_joule said:
Theses look like they're made out of the same material that regular helium balloons are:

...something of that size is exactly what I would have in mind, perhaps a little a bit larger (to support the weight of the electronics).

Make sure that whatever material you choose is helium-rated, as billy_joule alluded to. Helium sneaks out between the molecules of most substances. (I assume that's what you're using for lift.)

Danger said:
Make sure that whatever material you choose is helium-rated, as billy_joule alluded to. Helium sneaks out between the molecules of most substances. (I assume that's what you're using for lift.)

Yes, that's what I meant by "won't leak". Any recommendations?

I think you are looking for what a lot of people are looking for.

Unfortunately, as NTW points out. on the scale of a few feet, the lift is so small that the materials need to be ultra-light-weight - like a few grams - which is why current helium-buoyant devices are stuck with fragile materials.

If you found a material that were ultra-light-weight AND durable, you could drop your personal project and have people beating a path to your door to throw money at you for the material alone.

jack476 said:
Yes, that's what I meant by "won't leak". Any recommendations?
Sorry; I wasn't sure whether you meant to not leak helium, or just air in general. They're vastly different things. Mylar, as in party balloons (aluminized pvc) works well. I'm not sure what forms it is available in, but one that I know of for sure because I owned one is a compact survival blanket.

Related to What is the best durable material for making a blimp robot?

What is the most durable material for balloons?

The most durable material for balloons is mylar, also known as polyester film. It is strong, tear-resistant, and can hold helium for a longer period of time compared to other materials.

How long can a balloon made from durable material last?

A balloon made from durable material, such as mylar, can last for several days or even weeks. This is because the material is less porous, allowing the balloon to retain helium for a longer period of time.

Can durable balloon material be recycled?

Yes, durable balloon material can be recycled. Mylar balloons can be recycled with other plastics, but it is important to check with your local recycling program for specific guidelines.

Is it safe to release balloons made from durable material into the environment?

No, it is not safe to release balloons made from durable material into the environment. While they may be less likely to pop or deflate, they can still cause harm to wildlife and the environment if not disposed of properly.

Are there any alternatives to using durable balloon material?

Yes, there are alternative materials for balloons that are more environmentally friendly, such as latex balloons made from natural rubber. These balloons are biodegradable and can be safely released into the environment.