What is the best method for solving rational function integrals?

In summary, the appropriate partial fraction expansion for this problem is:$\displaystyle \frac{x+1}{(x-4)^{2}} = \frac{A}{x-4} + \frac{B}{(x-4)^{2}}\ (1)$
Yankel
Hello,

I am trying to solve the next integral, using this method of rational functions.

My problem is, that I turn the function into two expressions with the same denominator...when I try to use values of x, I will always make zero of both sides, if you know what I mean

\[\int \frac{x+1}{(x-4)^{2}}dx=\int (\frac{A}{x-4}+\frac{B}{x-4})dx\]

I'll be happy to see an example how to solve such integrals.

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello,

I am trying to solve the next integral, using this method of rational functions.

My problem is, that I turn the function into two expressions with the same denominator...when I try to use values of x, I will always make zero of both sides, if you know what I mean

Thank you !

The appropriate partial fraction expansion in this case is...

$\displaystyle \frac{x+1}{(x-4)^{2}} = \frac{A}{x-4} + \frac{B}{(x-4)^{2}}\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Yankel said:
Hello,

Thank you !

How about:
$$\frac{x+1}{(x-4)^{2}} = \frac{(x-4)+5}{(x-4)^{2}}
= \frac{1}{x-4}+\frac{5}{(x-4)^{2}}$$

Logical follow-up is a substitution of $u=x-4$ (also good to start with).

chisigma,

why ? I don't get it, if you multiply both fractions, you get (x-4)^3

Yankel said:

Try it like this:
$$\frac{A}{x-4} + \frac{B}{(x-4)^{2}}
= \frac{A(x-4)}{(x-4)^{2}} + \frac{B}{(x-4)^{2}}
= \frac{A(x-4) + B}{(x-4)^{2}}$$

I hope you guys don't mind me invading the thread for a second. :rolleyes:

Yankel said:
chisigma,

I think you are misunderstanding partial fractions. :) If you had

$$\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{9}$$

the result would be

$$\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{9} = \frac{3}{9} + \frac{1}{9} = \frac{4}{9}.$$

The same happens with polynomials. By writing

$$\frac{A}{x-4} + \frac{B}{(x-4)^2}$$

what you mean is

$$\frac{A}{x-4} + \frac{B}{(x-4)^2} = \frac{A(x-4)}{(x-4)^2} + \frac{B}{(x-4)^2} = \frac{A(x-4) + B}{(x-4)^2}.$$

Guess all I am trying to say is that the common denominator is $(x-4)^2$ and not $(x-4)^3$. In other words, you don't multiply them by each other, because they have a factor in common (one $(x-4)$). ;)

Cheers!

Right, now that I have seen the analogy to number I get it...looks obvious now :eek:

Yankel said:
Hello,

Thank you !
This is so, so, so much easier if you just represent the x in the numerator as a function of the denominator - namely, \(\displaystyle x=(x-4) +4\,\) . Observe:

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{x+1}{(x-4)^{2}}dx=\int\frac{[(x-4)+4]+1}{(x-4)^2}\,dx=\)

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{(x-4)+5}{(x-4)^2}\,dx=\int\frac{dx}{(x-4)}+5\int\frac{dx}{(x-4)^2}\,dx\)Hope that helps... :D

Related to What is the best method for solving rational function integrals?

1. What is a rational function integral?

A rational function integral is an integral that involves a rational function, which is a function that can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomials.

2. How do you solve a rational function integral?

To solve a rational function integral, you need to use techniques such as partial fractions, substitution, or integration by parts. These techniques can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. What is the difference between a rational function and a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a function that is made up of only powers of x, while a rational function can also include fractions with variables in the numerator and denominator. This makes rational functions more complex and challenging to integrate.

4. Can all rational functions be integrated?

No, not all rational functions can be integrated. Some rational functions are too complex and do not have a known antiderivative. In these cases, numerical methods or approximation techniques may be used to estimate the integral.

5. What are some real-life applications of rational function integrals?

Rational function integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the area under a curve, determine the work done by a variable force, or find the average value of a function over a given interval.