What is the best piezoresistive material for a DIY strange thermometer?

In summary: Just be sure to use a strain gauge with high sensitivity, and to use a signal conditioner to get accurate readings.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I am thinking to make a strange thermometer, based on the thermal expansion of a small aluminium-like rod/cylinder. I would attach one end of this aluminium rod to a vertical ceramic wall, and the other side would push against a piezoresistive material. I would then measure the resistance of this material. The resistance would indicate the pressure applied by the aluminium rod which in turn indicates how much the aluminium rod has expanded.
Which kind of piezoresistive material could I buy? I see several models on aliexpress and other websites, but I don't know if they are appropriate for such a use-case.

Likes anorlunda
Physics news on Phys.org
Any tensometric beam would do, no? These are quite cheap.

I have done some experimenting with piezoresistive materials with mixed success.

One possibility is self limiting heat trace tape. The conductive polymer between the two wires is designed to vary resistance with temperature, but (if I recall correctly) is also sensitive to pressure.

Manganin strain gauges are designed to vary resistance with pressure. I used some of these to build a compact force transducer once, but did not take it to completion: https://micro-measurements.com/pca/special-use-gages/pressure_pulse. Put the strain gauge between two metal surfaces, and push. You will need a strain gauge signal conditioner to read it.

MTA: I once made a mixture of dry graphite and polyester resin. With enough graphite to make it as viscous as peanut butter, it became electrically conductive. It would not surprise me if the electrical resistance of the hardened mixture had a pressure sensitivity. Worth a try.

That is easily readable using normal strain gauge signal conditioners. Those have accuracy and repeatability of about one microstrain, which is about 2E-6 ohms / ohm with a typical gauge factor of two. Typical strain gauge signal conditioners do not have bandwidth capable of measuring blast forces, so other means of measuring fast changes in resistance are needed.

The next calculation is to find the stress in an aluminum bar clamped inside a material with a low TCE, then translate that to pressure on the gauge. Keeping in mind that the gauge has finite thickness and is encapsulated in plastic.

A fun little project.

What is piezoresistive material?

Piezoresistive material is a material that changes its electrical resistance when subjected to mechanical stress or pressure. This change in resistance can be used to measure the amount of stress or pressure applied to the material.

What are the characteristics of a good piezoresistive material?

A good piezoresistive material should have a high sensitivity to stress or pressure, a linear response to changes in stress or pressure, and a stable and repeatable resistance change. It should also have a wide operating temperature range and be resistant to environmental factors such as moisture and corrosion.

What are some common piezoresistive materials?

Some common piezoresistive materials include silicon, germanium, carbon, and various metal alloys. These materials have different levels of sensitivity and can be tailored for specific applications.

Which piezoresistive material is best for a DIY strange thermometer?

The best piezoresistive material for a DIY strange thermometer would depend on the specific requirements and constraints of the project. However, silicon is a commonly used and versatile material that would be a good choice for a DIY thermometer.

Can I make my own piezoresistive material?

It is possible to make your own piezoresistive material, but it would require specialized equipment and knowledge. It would be more practical and cost-effective to purchase a pre-made piezoresistive material for a DIY project.