What is the best Unix like OS for mathematical computation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's need for a dedicated machine for scientific computation programs and remote access. They are not concerned about a GUI and prefer to use Unix through a command window. The speaker is not a skilled programmer and wants the easiest set-up for running programs, specifically MATLAB. They are also interested in finding the best OS for creating numerical analysis programs and solving complex equations, as well as the most efficient one for PC hardware. They also inquire about setting up remote access and building a home server for under $2,500. The suggestion is made to use Ubuntu as it is easier to use than Debian. Another option is Scientific Linux, which is based on RHEL and may fit the speaker's needs.
only_huce
I want to basically have a dedicated machine for running scientific computation programs and be able to access it remotely anywhere using a laptop/netbook. That means I don’t care much about GUIs. I’m used to using Unix and am perfectly fine with doing everything through a command window. At the same time however, I’m not a skilled programmer and want whichever is easiest to set-up and run things on. I also, need the OS to be able to run MATLAB.

So basically I want to find out which is the best OS for creating numerical analysis programs in C/C++/Fortran/MATLAB which leads me to these questions:

• Which one would be the most powerful in regard to numerical analysis and solving complex equations
  • Which would be best/run most efficiently on PC hardware?
  • Which is the easiest to set-up remote access to?

Also on a slightly related topic, can I just build my own home server for cheap? By cheap I mean a budget under $2,500

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think the better unix OS is debian, but it's something complicated for using because need knowledge of shell script , so I recommend you to use Ubuntu.

And the server... you can turn your computer in server, there is a lot of software to can do this.

I haven't used it myself, but Scientific Linux, which is a joint project of FermiLab and CERN, might fit your needs. It's based on RHEL.

http://www.scientificlinux.org/

Any of the Linuxes should work, though. Not sure about BSDs, with ports it might work.

1. What is the most widely used Unix-like OS for mathematical computation?

The most widely used Unix-like OS for mathematical computation is Linux. It is known for its robustness, versatility, and large user community, making it a popular choice for scientific computing.

2. What is the best Unix-like OS for high-performance mathematical computation?

The best Unix-like OS for high-performance mathematical computation is considered to be FreeBSD. It is known for its strong networking capabilities and efficient memory management, making it a top choice for large-scale calculations.

3. Are there any specific Unix-like OSes that are tailored for specific types of mathematical computation?

Yes, there are some Unix-like OSes that are tailored for specific types of mathematical computation. For example, OpenBSD is known for its security and is often used for cryptographic calculations, while CentOS is popular for its stability and is often used for data analysis.

4. What is the role of Unix-like OSes in mathematical computation?

Unix-like OSes play a crucial role in mathematical computation as they provide a stable and efficient platform for running mathematical software and algorithms. They also offer a wide range of tools and libraries that are specifically designed for scientific computing.

5. Are there any open-source Unix-like OSes that are suitable for mathematical computation?

Yes, there are several open-source Unix-like OSes that are suitable for mathematical computation, such as Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora. These OSes are free to use and have a large community of developers and users, making them a popular choice for scientific computing projects.