What is the bottom limit of telescopes and why can't they detect visible light?

In summary, telescopes have a bottom limit due to the difficulty of engineering accurate dishes and sensors for extremely short light wavelengths, making it impossible for radio telescopes to detect visible light.
aster79
"Bottom" limit of telescopes

I know this is a very elementary question, but I was never quite able understand why there was a bottom limit to what telescopes could "see". For example, I have not quite been able to grasp why telescopes can only see in the radio, but are invisible to optical rays, considering that they are large enough to be able to resolve objects emitting light at radio wavelengths. I understand why there is an upper limit to the wavelengths a telescope is able to "see" at, but for some reason I can't understand why there is a lower limit as well.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi aster79! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Do you mean why can't a big radio telescope also be used for seeing in ordinary light (presumably, if they were covered with something smooth and reflective, like silver)?

It's because the dish has to be accurate to within a fraction of a wavelength, which is easy for radio wavelengths, but beyond our engineering capability for the extremely short light wavelengths. :wink:

Radio telescopes also have sensors that are basically electronic oscillators resonating at the frequency of the detected waves. It's not practically possible to make a visible light electronic oscillator, so radio telescopes can't detect visible light.

What is the bottom limit of telescopes?

The bottom limit of telescopes refers to the smallest or faintest objects that can be observed by a telescope. This is determined by the telescope's aperture, or the diameter of its primary lens or mirror.

How is the bottom limit of telescopes calculated?

The bottom limit of telescopes is calculated using the formula d = 2.5log(1000×T/60) + x, where d is the telescope's aperture in millimeters, T is the telescope's focal length in millimeters, and x is a constant that varies depending on the type of telescope (for example, x = 14 for a reflector telescope).

Can the bottom limit of telescopes be improved?

Yes, the bottom limit of telescopes can be improved by increasing the aperture of the telescope. This allows for more light to enter the telescope, making it possible to see fainter objects.

What factors can affect the bottom limit of telescopes?

The bottom limit of telescopes can be affected by various factors such as atmospheric conditions, light pollution, and the quality of the telescope's optics. Additionally, the observer's visual acuity and experience can also play a role in determining the bottom limit.

What are some techniques for observing objects near the bottom limit of telescopes?

To observe objects near the bottom limit of telescopes, it is helpful to use techniques such as dark adaptation, which involves allowing your eyes to adjust to low light conditions, and using averted vision, which involves looking slightly away from the object to see it more clearly. Additionally, using filters and observing from a dark location can also improve visibility of faint objects.