What is the Charge Transfer Process between Two Charged Balls in Electrostatics?

In summary, the problem involves two charged balls, where one ball can transfer part of its charge to the other ball through contact. The first step is to equate the potential of the two balls and find the ratio of their capacitances. The second step is to equate the potential again to find a relation between the transferred charges. It is important to note that the charges will be a part of a series, and it is recommended to try solving the problem before seeking a detailed solution.
luiseduardo

Homework Statement

The ball 1 can be charged to a certain charge Q by a generator. After that, through contact with the ball 2, the first ball can transfer to second ball part of its charge. After the first contact, the ball 2 has a charge q. Before the contact, the ball 2 was neutral. What charge the ball 2 can acquire repeating the process repeatedly.

http://www.luiseduardo.com.br/electricity/electrostatics/electrostaticsproblems_arquivos/image002.jpg

Homework Equations

Q = Q'+q --> Conservation of Charges
Q = C.V ---> Capacitor charge
C = r/K ----> Capacitance of a sphere

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first, I tried to use the conservation of charges equation several times replacing Q' (charge of the sphere that will be recharged) by C.V, where C is the capacitance and V the potential. After that, I didn't find a way to find the answer of the problem. Could anyone help me? Please give me your complete explanation or solution.

PS: The answer of the problem is qQ/(Q-q)

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The charge from one ball to another ball will flow till they are at the same potential.
Now, to give you a start, let me tell you the first step:

Assume C1 and C2 as the capacitances of ball 1 and ball2 respectively, equate the potential and find the ratio of [itex]\frac{C1}{C2}[/itex]. Now equate the potential for the 2nd step till you find a relation between the charges transferred.

P.S: 1) The charges will be a part of a series. it is for you to guess which one.
2) It is against the rule of this forum to give a detailed solution. Moreover, I think you should try
your fullest before you look for the solution.

Best of luck!

ADI.

Related to What is the Charge Transfer Process between Two Charged Balls in Electrostatics?

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest, as opposed to charges in motion (which are studied in the field of electrodynamics).

2. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field. It can be positive or negative, and the unit of electric charge is the coulomb (C).

3. How do charges interact with each other?

Charges can interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other. The strength of the force is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

4. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow charges to move freely through them, while insulators are materials that do not allow charges to move easily. This is because conductors have a high number of free electrons, while insulators have a lower number of free electrons.

5. How is electrostatics used in everyday life?

Electrostatics has several practical applications in our daily lives, such as in household appliances (e.g. hair dryers), printers, photocopiers, and air purifiers. It is also used in industries such as painting, dust removal, and electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control.