What is the concentration of my starch?

• Thread starter Cyrus the great
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concentration
In summary, the final concentration of starch in this solution is 3% on a dry solids basis, with a total solution weight of 230 grams including 7.77 grams of starch, 3 grams of ethylen glycol, and 219.23 grams of water. The addition of ethylen glycol does not affect the final concentration of starch when measured on a weight basis. The presence of water in the starch (10% water content) should be taken into consideration when calculating the concentration. Using a "dry basis" or "dry solids basis" is recommended in order to avoid confusion.
Cyrus the great
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
I weight 7 gram of starch and added 3 gram of ethylen glycol and mixed it with 220 gram water. What is the final concentraion of my starch?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus the great said:
What is the final concentraion of my starch?
3.043 wt%.

Likes Cyrus the great
So for the final volume of the solution we need to sum up everything we added in the solution (starch, ethylen glycol + water). Then divide amount of starch to the total volume (starch+ethylen glycol+water).Am i right? I got confused because It thought presense of ethylen glycol would interfer the concentration of starch and we will not get 3.043 wt %.

Cyrus the great said:
So for the final volume of the solution we need to sum up everything we added in the solution (starch, ethylen glycol + water). Then divide amount of starch to the total volume (starch+ethylen glycol+water).Am i right? I got confused because It thought presense of ethylen glycol would interfer the concentration of starch and we will not get 3.043 wt %.
Be careful using the word "volume" unless you really mean it. Keeping it on a weight basis is foolproof. Volumes can combine in unknown ways.

Sure. So for the final weight we need to sum up (starch+ethylen glycol+water) then divide starch to the final weight. The reason i got confused is in another experiment to the 7 gram of starch i added 223 gram of water and concentration becomes the same 3.043 wt%. So my question is if adding the ethylen glycol would interfere with the concentration of starch?

Cyrus the great said:
So my question is if adding the ethylen glycol would interfere with the concentration of starch?
Nope; your method of getting wt% is correct.

Is density of ethylen glycol effect the concentration of starch?

Cyrus the great said:
Is density of ethylen glycol effect the concentration of starch?
Nope; as long as it is all on a weight basis, there is no density effect.

I forgot to tell you about something. My starch has 10 % water content. So basically I weight 7.77 to compensate the water and then i mixed with 3 gram of ethylen glycol and 219.23 gram of water. So my question is now the concentration wt % of starch is 7.77/230=3.37 % or we should consider 7/230=3 %? Because I weight 7.7 gram but it is not only starch but also water is presented together with starch. I took 7.7 gram to compensate the water inside the starch. So, may I ask you what is the concentration wt % of starch in this situation?

Cyrus the great said:
So my question is now the concentration wt % of starch is 7.77/230=3.37 % or we should consider 7/230=3 %?
Yes, wt% is 3% "dry basis." My experience in the starch handling industries is that "dry basis" or "dry solids basis" is used to prevent any confusion.

Likes Cyrus the great

Related to What is the concentration of my starch?

1. What is the definition of starch concentration?

Starch concentration refers to the amount of starch present in a solution or substance, typically expressed as a percentage or in units of mass per volume.

2. How is the concentration of starch measured?

The concentration of starch is usually measured using various laboratory techniques such as spectrophotometry, titration, or gravimetric analysis.

3. What factors affect the concentration of starch?

The concentration of starch can be influenced by factors such as the amount of starch present in the original substance, the volume of the solution, and the method used for measuring the concentration.

4. Why is it important to know the concentration of starch?

The concentration of starch is important in various industries such as food production, pharmaceuticals, and research, as it can affect the quality and effectiveness of products and experiments.

5. How can the concentration of starch be adjusted?

The concentration of starch can be adjusted by diluting or concentrating the solution, or by adding more starch or other substances to the solution. The specific method will depend on the desired concentration and the properties of the solution.