What is the connection between hurricanes, spiral galaxies, and sunflowers?

In summary, there is a connection between hurricanes, spiral galaxies, and sunflowers. This connection lies in the mathematical concept of the Fibonacci sequence, where each subsequent number is the sum of the two preceding numbers. This ratio can be observed in the spiral patterns of hurricanes, the shape of spiral galaxies, and the arrangement of seeds in a sunflower. This demonstrates the presence of a natural pattern in seemingly unrelated phenomena, highlighting the interconnectedness of the universe.
astroscout
Nature,Astronomy and Physics have facinated me for years but I had no idea they were eerily similar in other ways.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/k7xi.jpg/

Nature produces hurricanes that in satellite photos look eerily similar to those of spiral galaxies photographed by the Hubble space telescope.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/4fh5.jpg/

Physics uses a model of our solar system to help explain the structure of an Atom but what is very interesting about this is that the oxygen Atom has 8 electrons and our solar system has 8 major planets. I know this is only a coincidence but isn't oxygen one of the main givers of life here on Earth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Are you planning on studying more physics? Your fascination is a good place to start. It's important for you to study a bit more soon, to get past the basic/old concepts, and learn more about reality.

We no longer think in terms of hard ball electrons orbiting the nucleus, and how much it looks like a planetary system. The reality is quite different:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom

Are you in high school, or maybe starting community college? There are many opportunities to learn about modern physics. And the more that you learn, the more you will find amazing (and more correct) things. :smile:

Thanks for your input berkeman. I am 56 yrs old so my knowledge is "old school". Its good to know that we now have new ways of explaining the structure of an atom. I will do some more reading on this thanks for your info.

Last edited by a moderator:
astroscout said:
Thanks for your input berkeman. I am 56 yrs old so my knowledge is "old school". Its good to know that we now have new ways of explaining the structure of an atom. I will do some more reading on this thanks for your info.

The new way of understanding the atom is called Quantum Mechanics. It makes some shocking claims for those who have never heard of it before. It may seem crazy when you first read about it, but we've been using it for nearly 100 years now and the amount of evidence for it is simply staggering. Practically every piece of modern technology, from computers to plastics to lasers, owes its existence to Quantum Mechanics.

See here for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_quantum_mechanics

astroscout said:

A book for the layman that covers a great over view of current thought is _A Universe From Nothing_ by Lawrence M. Krauss.

Thanks Rusty...

1. What is the difference between physics and astronomy?

Physics is the study of matter and energy, and their interactions. It includes topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Astronomy, on the other hand, is the study of celestial objects and phenomena, including stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. While they are closely related, physics focuses on the fundamental laws and principles governing the physical world, while astronomy applies those laws to understand the behavior and motion of objects in space.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract each other. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the result of the warping of space and time by massive objects. This warping creates a gravitational field that pulls objects towards each other. The strength of this gravitational force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

3. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space with such a strong gravitational pull that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. They are formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity, becoming incredibly dense. Black holes have a boundary called the event horizon, beyond which nothing can escape. They are invisible, but their presence can be detected by observing their effects on surrounding matter.

4. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a single point of infinite density and temperature, known as a singularity. This singularity then expanded rapidly, creating all matter and energy in the universe. The Big Bang theory is supported by evidence such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the observed expansion of the universe.

5. How do scientists study the origins of the universe?

Scientists study the origins of the universe through various methods, including observations with telescopes and satellites, experiments in particle accelerators, and mathematical models. They also use data from cosmic background radiation and the behavior of celestial objects to make inferences about the early universe. Additionally, scientists continue to develop new theories and technologies to better understand the origin and evolution of the universe.