What is the Correct Integral for Finding the Area Below y=0 and Above y=lnx?

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the student is trying to find the area below, above, and to the right of x=0, but is having trouble with the original integral. He finds that the limit as a becomes zero, but is still having trouble with the other term. He is then helped by a friend who points him in the right direction.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the area Below ##y=0##,above ##y=lnx##, and to the right of ##x=0##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought an integral like ##\int_0^1 lnx \, dx##
then Its ##-∞## at ##x=0## So I used like ##lim(a→0)=\int_a^1 lnx \, dx## and from that it came
The integral result is ##xlnx-x## so ##1(ln1-1)-a(lna-1)## And if we take limit first term ##1(ln1-1)## is ##-1## but the other term bothers me.It will be ##0(-∞-1)##. I can think like ##lim (a→0)=a ln(a)## and that gave me ##0## but there's also ##+1## so the answer turns ##0## but its impossible.Where I am doing wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:

Homework Statement

Find the area Below ##y=0##,above ##y=lnx##, and to the right of ##x=0##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought an integral like ##\int_0^1 lnx \, dx##
then Its ##-∞## at ##x=0## So I used like ##lim(a→0)=\int_a^1 lnx \, dx## and from that it came
The integral result is ##xlnx-x## so ##1(ln1-1)-a(lna-1)## And if we take limit first term ##1(ln1-1)## is ##-1## but the other term bothers me.It will be ##0(-∞-1)##. I can think like ##lim (a→0)=a ln(a)## and that gave me ##0## but there's also ##+1## so the answer turns ##0## but its impossible.Where I am doing wrong ?
$$ \int_a^1 \ln x \, dx =\left. x \ln x -x \right|_a^1 = 1 \ln 1 - 1 - a \ln a + a$$
What is the limit of that as ##a \to 0+##?

BTW; do not write ##ln x##-- it is ugly and hard to read; instead, write ##\ln x##. You do that by typing "\ln" instead of "ln". (Same for "log", "exp", "lim", "max", "min", all the trig functions and their inverses, and the hyperbolic functions---but not their inverses.)

Which area is described by the given conditions? Draw a picture of it or describe it with words.

Ray Vickson said:
$$ \int_a^1 \ln x \, dx =\left. x \ln x -x \right|_a^1 = 1 \ln 1 - 1 - a \ln a + a$$
What is the limit of that as ##a \to 0+##?

BTW; do not write ##ln x##-- it is ugly and hard to read; instead, write ##\ln x##. You do that by typing "\ln" instead of "ln". (Same for "log", "exp", "lim", "max", "min", all the trig functions and their inverses, and the hyperbolic functions---but not their inverses.)
oh ok I foıund thanks

Arman777 said:
oh ok I foıund thanks
I doubt you have found the correct answer since your original integral is wrong. Remember area is$$
\int_a^b y_{upper} - y_{lower}~dx$$which is not what you have in your integrand.

LCKurtz said:
I doubt you have found the correct answer since your original integral is wrong. Remember area is$$
\int_a^b y_{upper} - y_{lower}~dx$$which is not what you have in your integrand.

Well that make sense...Hmm...ok thanks

What is an infinite integral area?

An infinite integral area is a concept in calculus that represents the area under a curve that extends infinitely in both the positive and negative directions. It is typically denoted by the symbol ∞ and is calculated using a mathematical technique called integration.

Why is the concept of infinite integral area important?

The concept of infinite integral area is important because it allows us to calculate the area under a curve that extends infinitely, which is not possible using traditional methods. This is useful in various fields of science and mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How is infinite integral area calculated?

Infinite integral area is calculated using a mathematical technique called integration, which involves breaking down a curve into infinitesimally small sections and summing up their areas. This process is represented by the integral symbol ∫ and is often solved using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite infinite integral area?

A definite infinite integral area has specific limits of integration, which means the area is calculated within a certain range. On the other hand, an indefinite infinite integral area does not have any limits of integration, and the resulting value is a general solution. In other words, a definite infinite integral area is a specific number, while an indefinite infinite integral area is an expression that can be evaluated for different values.

What are some real-life applications of infinite integral area?

Infinite integral area has many real-life applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object in motion, finding the amount of work done by a force, determining the net change in a quantity over time, and calculating the total revenue or profit in economics. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics to analyze and model various phenomena.