What is the correct method for calculating the co factor of a 3 x 3 matrix?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to revise the inverse of matrices and encountering difficulty with replacing an element of the co-factors. The individual is seeking assistance and clarification on where they may be making a mistake.
Rob K
This is insane, I am trying to revise the inverse of matrices and this one element is being really stubborn, please help.

Here is the matrix
3 -1 7

2 0 1

5 -2 6

I have transposed it
3 2 5

-1 0 -2

7 1 6

Now as for replacing the element of the co factors, I am stuck on the second one on the first row.

I have calculated the co factor to be as follows:

(-1 * 6) - (-2 * 7) = 8
fine
but now you times it by the place sign, which is a minus is it not?

So this gives me -8

the book disagrees
And to my horror so does Matlab.

Where am I going wrong?

An help would be appreciated, as I simply can't see where I am going wrong.

Kind regards

Rob

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me clarify first, are you trying to find the co-factor expansion along a specific column or row? If so, which one is it? Recall that the co-factor expansion formula requires any position where the sum of the row index and column index being odd to be of negative sign (Ex: Suppose your matrix is A, A1,2 has a negative because 1+2=3 which is odd).
Are you taking the determinant to check whether the matrix is indeed invertible?

Start at the upper left of the matrix, count, starting with "0" as the first element, across the row to the correct column, then count down to the element you want. The sign is [itex](-1)^n[/itex] where "n" is the final count.

Alternatively, and perhaps simpler, is to say "plus" at the upper left and go across and down alternating "minus" and "plus" at each element.

Related to What is the correct method for calculating the co factor of a 3 x 3 matrix?

1. What is the inverse of a 3 x 3 matrix?

The inverse of a 3 x 3 matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It essentially "undoes" the original matrix.

2. How do you find the inverse of a 3 x 3 matrix?

To find the inverse of a 3 x 3 matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the adjugate method. Both methods involve manipulating the original matrix to reduce it to the identity matrix.

3. Why is finding the inverse of a 3 x 3 matrix important?

The inverse of a 3 x 3 matrix is important in solving systems of linear equations, finding determinants, and in many other mathematical operations. It is also used in various applications in science, engineering, and economics.

4. Can every 3 x 3 matrix have an inverse?

No, not every 3 x 3 matrix has an inverse. A matrix must be square and have a non-zero determinant to have an inverse. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is said to be singular and does not have an inverse.

5. Is the inverse of a 3 x 3 matrix always unique?

Yes, the inverse of a 3 x 3 matrix is always unique. This means that no matter which method you use to find the inverse, the resulting matrix will be the same. This is because the inverse of a matrix is defined as the unique matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix.