What is the correct method for determining confidence intervals for the mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of z-distribution and sample standard deviation in cases where the sample size is large (more than 30) and the standard deviation of the population is known. It is concluded that for large sample sizes, it is reasonable to use the assumption that the standard deviation of the population is equal to the sample standard deviation. However, for smaller sample sizes, the correct distribution to use is the t-distribution with n-1 degrees of freedom.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

Both images are 2 consecutive pages of my notes . In this theory , i was told to use z-distribution when the sample size is large ( more than 30) and the standard deviation of the population , σ is known) . However , in the 2nd image , i was told to replace σ with s ( sample standard deviation) . Which is correct ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the first theory of using z-distribution when the sample size is large ( more than 30) and the standard deviation of the population , σ is known) is correct , and the[/B] replace σ with s ( sample standard deviation) . is wrong . Am i right ?

Attachments

• 672.jpg
    672.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 345
  • 673.jpg
    673.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 332
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the value of σ from some theory or some larger external set of data, then use it. Otherwise, you have to use your sample data to estimate σ. That tends to give a slightly smaller estimate than it should for the general population, so a better estimate of σ is obtained by dividing by n-1 instead of n.

Likes tzx9633
tzx9633 said:

Homework Statement

Both images are 2 consecutive pages of my notes . In this theory , i was told to use z-distribution when the sample size is large ( more than 30) and the standard deviation of the population , σ is known) . However , in the 2nd image , i was told to replace σ with s ( sample standard deviation) . Which is correct ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the first theory of using z-distribution when the sample size is large ( more than 30) and the standard deviation of the population , σ is known) is correct , and the[/B] replace σ with s ( sample standard deviation) . is wrong . Am i right ?

I would say the second attachment is wrong: the correct distribution to use is the t-distribution with ##n-1## degrees of freedom. However, for large ##n## there is not much difference between the t-distribution and the normal distribution, so it is a reasonable approximation to replace the t by the normal. For example, when ##n=31## (30 degrees of freedom) we have
$$
\begin{array}{cc}
P(N \leq -1) = 0.15866, & P(T \leq -1) = 0.16265\\
P(N \leq 1) = 0.84134, & P(T \leq 1) = 0.83735
\end{array}
$$

Likes tzx9633
FactChecker said:
If you know the value of σ from some theory or some larger external set of data, then use it. Otherwise, you have to use your sample data to estimate σ. That tends to give a slightly smaller estimate than it should for the general population, so a better estimate of σ is obtained by dividing by n-1 instead of n.
Do you mean that for large sample size n > 30 , it's okay to use the assumption that the standard deviation of the population equal to the standard deviation of the sample ?

FactChecker said:
Ray Vickson said:
I would say the second attachment is wrong: the correct distribution to use is the t-distribution with ##n-1## degrees of freedom. However, for large ##n## there is not much difference between the t-distribution and the normal distribution, so it is a reasonable approximation to replace the t by the normal. For example, when ##n=31## (30 degrees of freedom) we have
$$
\begin{array}{cc}
P(N \leq -1) = 0.15866, & P(T \leq -1) = 0.16265\\
P(N \leq 1) = 0.84134, & P(T \leq 1) = 0.83735
\end{array}
$$
Do you mean that for large sample size n > 30 , it's okay to use the assumption that the standard deviation of the population equal to the standard deviation of the sample ?

For any size sample, if you don't have some other way of knowing the value of σ, then you have no alternative to using the sample standard deviation.

Related to What is the correct method for determining confidence intervals for the mean?

What is a confidence interval of mean?

A confidence interval of mean is a statistical tool used to estimate the true population mean based on a sample mean. It provides a range of values that are likely to contain the true population mean with a certain level of confidence.

How is the confidence interval of mean calculated?

The confidence interval of mean is calculated using the sample mean, standard deviation, sample size, and the desired level of confidence. The formula for calculating the confidence interval is: sample mean ± (critical value * standard error), where the critical value is determined by the level of confidence and the standard error is calculated using the sample standard deviation and sample size.

What is the significance of the confidence level in a confidence interval of mean?

The confidence level in a confidence interval of mean represents the probability that the true population mean falls within the calculated interval. For example, a 95% confidence level means that if the same population was sampled multiple times, 95% of the resulting confidence intervals would contain the true population mean.

How does sample size affect the width of a confidence interval of mean?

The larger the sample size, the smaller the margin of error and the narrower the confidence interval of mean. This is because a larger sample size provides more accurate estimates of the population mean, resulting in a smaller standard error and a narrower interval.

Can the confidence interval of mean be used to compare two groups?

Yes, the confidence interval of mean can be used to compare two groups by looking at the overlap or non-overlap of their respective intervals. If the intervals overlap, it suggests that there is no significant difference between the two groups. However, if the intervals do not overlap, it indicates that there may be a significant difference between the two groups.