What is the correct structure for transition metal complex ions?

In summary: Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope that this has helped.No problem ... sorry if my reply was over your head. Please feel free to ask if you need or want clarification on any of the points.
joeyjo100
I'm getting myself muddled up, and don't know how to work out what the 3-d structure of transition metel complex ions.

For example, the compound [CoCl4] has a Cobalt +2 ion surrounded by four chloride ions. I've seen two different structures for it. One is tetrahedral, like methane, the other is sqaure planar.

Which structure is correct?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Which one do you think is correct, based on your own analysis?

well i would have guessed a tetrahedral shape for [CoCl4], just because there are 4 chloride ions, which would try and repel each other as much as possible.

The tetrahedral shape has a bond angle of 109 degrees compared to 90 degrees for a square planar shape, so this allows the greatest distance for the chloride ligands

joeyjo100 said:
well i would have guessed a tetrahedral shape for [CoCl4], just because there are 4 chloride ions, which would try and repel each other as much as possible.

The tetrahedral shape has a bond angle of 109 degrees compared to 90 degrees for a square planar shape, so this allows the greatest distance for the chloride ligands

Ok .. that's a reasonable start. However you asked a similar question about square-planar vs tetrahedral geometries before, and I answered it. Why don't you go back to that response, and see if it gives you some additional insight.

yeah. I forgot that I'd posted that, I've been in my own little revision world lately so things just keep coming and going.

And in fact I just looked back at the reply in my last post. I do admit that it's a bit over my head, but I guess that in itself is an answer. It means that I don't need to be worrying too much about it for the exam.

thanks for replying!

joeyjo100 said:
yeah. I forgot that I'd posted that, I've been in my own little revision world lately so things just keep coming and going.

And in fact I just looked back at the reply in my last post. I do admit that it's a bit over my head, but I guess that in itself is an answer. It means that I don't need to be worrying too much about it for the exam.

thanks for replying!

No problem ... sorry if my reply was over your head. Please feel free to ask if you need or want clarification on any of the points. If you are in an introductory chemistry class, then it is likely that you only need to know the VSEPR arguments that you gave above in #3 to explain the structure. The difference between square-planar and tetrahedral geometries for coordination complexes is a more advanced topic that you will hit when you study inorganic chemistry at a higher level.

1. What is the definition of a complex ion?

A complex ion is a type of chemical compound that consists of a central metal atom or ion bound to one or more surrounding molecules or ions, known as ligands. The ligands are typically electron donors that form coordinate covalent bonds with the central metal ion.

2. What factors determine the structure of a complex ion?

The structure of a complex ion is determined by several factors, including the size and charge of the central metal ion, the number and type of ligands, and the strength of the bonds between the metal ion and the ligands. Other factors, such as steric hindrance and ligand-ligand interactions, can also play a role in the structure of complex ions.

3. What is the difference between a coordination complex and a complex ion?

A coordination complex refers to the entire chemical compound, including the central metal ion and its surrounding ligands, while a complex ion specifically refers to the central metal ion and its bound ligands. Coordination complexes can be either neutral or charged, while complex ions are always charged due to the presence of the central metal ion.

4. How does the structure of a complex ion affect its properties?

The structure of a complex ion can greatly impact its properties, including its color, stability, and reactivity. For example, the arrangement and type of ligands can determine the color of a complex ion, while the strength of the bonds between the metal ion and ligands can affect its stability and reactivity in different chemical reactions.

5. What are some common types of complex ions?

Some common types of complex ions include octahedral, tetrahedral, and square planar complexes. These structures are determined by the number and arrangement of ligands around the central metal ion. Other types of complex ions include linear, trigonal bipyramidal, and distorted octahedral complexes.