What is the derivation of Maxwell's 4th equation for a static electric field?

In summary, the derivation of Maxwell's 4th equation from the empirical Biot-Savart law for a static electric field shows that the curl of the magnetic field is equal to the magnetic permeability times the current density. This current density is evaluated at the point outside the circuit where the field is measured. Since the current density is zero at this point, the curl of the magnetic field is also zero everywhere except on the circuit itself. This is in accordance with the result obtained by using the integral form of the formula. It is important to note that the wire carrying the current is always the source, and the magnetic field can only be calculated at a point outside the circuit.
Master J
In my derivation of Maxwell's 4th equation from the empirical Biot Savart law, for a static electric field, I have that the curl of B is equal to the magnetic permeability times the current density.

Now, the source coordinates (i. the circuit) are given by R_1 ( R is a vector). The field coordinates, that is, a point outside the circuit at which the field is measured, are given by R_2. As stated above, the curl of B is equal to the magnetic permeability times the current density, but this current density is evaluated at R_2.

This is of course zero. So this means that the curl of B is zero everywhere except on the circuit itself (in the wires). Am I correct? The derivation is the one I was thought in my Electromagnetism class, so I don't doubt it is correct.

Could someone perhaps expand on this for me. Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Master J said:
In my derivation of Maxwell's 4th equation from the empirical Biot Savart law, for a static electric field, I have that the curl of B is equal to the magnetic permeability times the current density.
You meant magnetic field?
Now, the source coordinates (i. the circuit) are given by R_1 ( R is a vector). The field coordinates, that is, a point outside the circuit at which the field is measured, are given by R_2. As stated above, the curl of B is equal to the magnetic permeability times the current density, but this current density is evaluated at R_2.

This is of course zero. So this means that the curl of B is zero everywhere except on the circuit itself (in the wires). Am I correct? The derivation is the one I was thought in my Electromagnetism class, so I don't doubt it is correct.

Could someone perhaps expand on this for me. Am I correct?

the current density is at the source:

[tex] \nabla \vec B = \mu_0 \vec J \hbox { better yet using integral form } \int_C \vec B \cdot d\vec S = \mu_0 I[/tex]

Means the magnetic field is generated by the current I passing through a wire etc. The magnetic field is circulating around the current carrying wire. so even if you have a field point destinated by [itex]\vec R_2[/itex], all you do is to put into this formula

[tex] d\vec B_{(R_2)} \;=\; \frac {\mu_0 I}{4\pi}\;\; \frac {d\vec l X \vec R_2 }{R_2^3}[/tex]

For any point ( as you called R_1) and the magnetic field from the complete wire is

[tex] \vec B_{(R_2)} \;=\; \frac {\mu_0 I}{4\pi}\;\; \int _C \frac {d\vec l X \vec R_2 }{R_2^3}[/tex]

I don't use R_1 because the wire that carry current is always the source, you cannot take the magnetic field at R_1 and find the magnetic field in R_2.

Last edited:

Related to What is the derivation of Maxwell's 4th equation for a static electric field?

1. What is the definition of curl of magnetic induction?

The curl of magnetic induction, also known as the magnetic field strength, is a vector quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of the magnetic force acting on a charged particle in a magnetic field.

2. How is the curl of magnetic induction calculated?

The curl of magnetic induction is calculated using the cross product of the magnetic field vector and the gradient of the magnetic potential. It can also be expressed as the circulation of the magnetic field around a closed loop divided by the area of the loop.

3. What is the significance of the curl of magnetic induction?

The curl of magnetic induction is a crucial concept in electromagnetism as it helps us understand the behavior of magnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles. It is also used in various applications such as motors, generators, and magnetic levitation systems.

4. How does the curl of magnetic induction affect the motion of charged particles?

The curl of magnetic induction determines the direction and magnitude of the magnetic force acting on a charged particle. This force can cause the particle to move in a circular or helical path around the magnetic field lines.

5. Is the curl of magnetic induction constant in a magnetic field?

No, the curl of magnetic induction is not constant in a magnetic field. It varies depending on the position and orientation of the charged particle in the field. It also changes with time if the magnetic field is changing or if the particle is moving through the field.