What is the difference between diffraction and scattering?

In summary, Charles believes that the reason you will hear the bass notes better is because they have a lower frequency than the treble notes. Rayleigh scattering explains why the sky appears blue, and sound waves experience attenuation when travelling through air.
chef99

Homework Statement

[/B]
If you hear music in the distance, would you be more likely to hear the treble or the bass notes of the music? Using your knowledge of diffraction, explain your answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

It would be more likely to hear the bass notes for a number of reasons. Bass notes have a lower frequency than treble notes, and since wavelength is inversely proportional to frequency, a lower frequency would have a higher wavelength. Since diffraction increases with a larger wavelength, a wave with a greater wavelength would diffract more, thus the bass notes would spread out more, than the treble notes, making it more likely for one to hear a bass note from a distance than a treble note.

I believe all of this is correct, I'm just not sure if I'm presenting it in the correct way. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is incorrect. (I could be wrong). Yes, you will hear the bass notes better, but not for the reason you gave. ## \\ ## One suggestion is to read about Rayleigh scattering, which occurs with light from inhomogenities in the atmosphere, and the scattering is inversely proportional to the 4th power of the wavelength. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering The Rayleigh scattering explains why the daytime sky appears blue. To explain the blue sky, red light (which has a wavelength almost twice that of the blue), travels basically in straight lines and doesn't get scattered appreciably, while the blue light gets scattered a very significant amount. ## \\ ## Rayleigh scattering also explains why the sun, when viewed on the horizon , (where the light from it need to travel through about 100 or more miles of atmosphere to reach us, instead of the ten miles or thereabouts of atmosphere when it is overhead), appears red during a sunrise or sunset. (Most of the blue light gets Rayleigh scattered out over a 100 mile atmospheric path and doesn't reach us directly). ## \\ ## I think a similar type of result is likely to be found when sound travels through the atmosphere. (They may call it "diffraction", but a better name for it is "scattering").

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I think this is incorrect. (I could be wrong). Yes, you will hear the bass notes better, but not for the reason you gave. ## \\ ## One suggestion is to read about Rayleigh scattering, which occurs with light from inhomogenities in the atmosphere, and the scattering is inversely proportional to the 4th power of the wavelength. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering The Rayleigh scattering explains why the daytime sky appears blue. To explain the blue sky, red light (which has a wavelength almost twice that of the blue), travels basically in straight lines and doesn't get scattered appreciably, while the blue light gets scattered a very significant amount. ## \\ ## Rayleigh scattering also explains why the sun, when viewed on the horizon , (where the light from it need to travel through about 100 or more miles of atmosphere to reach us, instead of the ten miles or thereabouts of atmosphere when it is overhead), appears red during a sunrise or sunset. (Most of the blue light gets Rayleigh scattered out over a 100 mile atmospheric path and doesn't reach us directly). ## \\ ## I think a similar type of result is likely to be found when sound travels through the atmosphere. (They may call it "diffraction", but a better name for it is "scattering").

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the great link. So you think it has more to do with "scattering" than "diffraction"? The reason I used diffraction is because that is the terminology used mostly in my textbook.

Likes Charles Link
chef99 said:
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the great link. So you think it has more to do with "scattering" than "diffraction"? The reason I used diffraction is because that is the terminology used mostly in my textbook.
That is what I would have to believe. I have very limited experience with acoustics, but I believe these two cases (light waves and sound waves) are similar. Meanwhile, diffraction and scattering are closely related. In acoustics, they very well might refer to it as diffraction effects that are occurring when the sound is propagating through the air. ## \\ ## Editing: Attenuation (loss of energy) that occurs is usually due to a combination of absorption and scattering. In addition, as the sound propagates, the wave front normally expands as it travels, resulting in lower energy at the receiver as the receiver is moved farther away from the source. The attenuation is normally considerably more for the shorter wavelengths, while this second feature that results in reduced volume, (the expanding wave front), is normally similar for most wavelengths.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
@chef99 See also the "Editing:" part of post 4.

That's quite interesting. I didn't think to account for the loss of energy, but that completely makes sense. Thank you for all of your help in improving my answer.

Likes Charles Link
chef99 said:
That's quite interesting. I didn't think to account for the loss of energy, but that completely makes sense. Thank you for all of your help in improving my answer.
I did some research on diffraction and scattering, and believe this explains the differences well.

"Diffraction is a coherent process and scattering is an incoherent process. Diffraction requires that the surface/medium is regular on distances comparable to the wavelength of the light being diffracted. In comparison, when an interface/surface is rough on length scales comparable to the wavelength of the light, the light will scatter."
main-qimg-2cf59d022a8daa31d713509bd6ebe338.gif

PS: Physicists often use the term scattering for coherent processes too.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-scattering-and-diffraction

Attachments

• main-qimg-2cf59d022a8daa31d713509bd6ebe338.gif
    main-qimg-2cf59d022a8daa31d713509bd6ebe338.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 674
Likes Charles Link

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and distance?

The relationship between wavelength and distance is inverse. This means that as the distance increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa.

2. How does the wavelength of light change as it travels through different mediums?

The wavelength of light changes as it travels through different mediums due to the varying densities and refractive indices of the materials. This causes the light to bend and change direction, resulting in a change in wavelength.

3. How does the distance between two objects affect the wavelengths of the waves passing between them?

The distance between two objects does not affect the wavelengths of the waves passing between them. The wavelength remains constant regardless of the distance between the objects, as long as the medium through which the waves are traveling remains the same.

4. Can wavelength be measured at a distance?

Yes, wavelength can be measured at a distance using various instruments such as spectrometers, interferometers, and telescopes. These instruments use the principles of diffraction and interference to accurately measure the wavelength of light from a distance.

5. How does the wavelength of a wave change as it travels through space?

The wavelength of a wave does not change as it travels through space. This is because there is no medium in space for the wave to interact with, and therefore, it remains constant. This is known as the wave-particle duality of light.