What is the difference between resonance in a vacuum and resonance in a medium?

In summary: GraphIn summary, the amplitude of a pendulum will be reduced in a medium because of the damping effect.
tennispro1213
So we're studying resonance.

It says that it occurs when an external periodic force acting on a body is exactly equal to the natural frequency of the body. The body then begins to vibrate with greater/increasing amplitude and intensity.

And so what I want to know is that is there a difference between the type of resonance that occurs in a vacuum and the type in a medium (say water) ?

Like in a vacuum, would a pendulum experiencing resonance continue to complete oscillations, or would it spin all the way around or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
A vacuum simply implies no air friction, resonance occurs with or without a vacuum.
Resonance occurs because the driving force is in sync with the natural vibration of the object.
In simpler terms, the driving force always pushes in the direction of vibration, never against it, thus it allows the maximum increase in amplitude.
The driving force could be from anything, a person, a machine..

hi tennispro1213! welcome to pf! :smile:
tennispro1213 said:
… is there a difference between the type of resonance that occurs in a vacuum and the type in a medium (say water) ?

a pendulum is governed by mx'' = -mgsinθ

or approximately x'' = - (g/L)x

if you put the pendulum in a fluid, the buoyancy will change the RHS, and therefore change the resonant frequency

Ok, thanks for the answers guys.

I was just confused whether there is a difference in the increased amplitude produced due to resonance in different media.
I actually didn't clarify enough, sorry (First time using a forum (obviously)).
So what I'm asking is, would there be a greater increase in the amplitude of a body if resonance occurred in a vacuum, or would it be the same amount of increase in amplitude if resonance occurred in any medium?

(My reference to the pendulum was just an example, though thanks, that probably would have been my next question.)

The damping produced by the medium will indeed reduce the resonant amplitude. And will make the resonance peak less sharp.

See the graph here, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance

Last edited:

1. What is resonance in a vibrating body?

Resonance in a vibrating body is the phenomenon in which an object vibrates at its natural frequency when exposed to an external force. This causes the object to vibrate with a larger amplitude, resulting in a louder and more sustained sound.

2. How does resonance occur in a vibrating body?

Resonance occurs in a vibrating body when an external force is applied at the same frequency as the object's natural frequency. This causes the object to absorb the energy from the external force, resulting in a larger amplitude of vibration.

3. What factors affect resonance in a vibrating body?

The factors that affect resonance in a vibrating body include the object's mass, stiffness, and damping. Objects with lower mass and higher stiffness are more likely to exhibit resonance, while objects with higher damping tend to dampen the vibrations and prevent resonance.

4. What are some examples of resonance in a vibrating body?

Some common examples of resonance in a vibrating body include musical instruments, such as stringed instruments, drums, and wind instruments. Other examples include bridges, buildings, and even the human voice.

5. How can resonance in a vibrating body be controlled or prevented?

Resonance in a vibrating body can be controlled or prevented by changing the object's natural frequency. This can be done by altering the object's mass, stiffness, or damping. In some cases, adding dampers or using anti-resonance techniques can also help control resonance.