What is the efficiency of an accelerometer?

In summary: No, I'm thinking specifically about devices that use vibration as their energy source.If you vibrate them in the axis of the speaker, you can harvest small amounts of energy from that vibration...EDIT -- And you could probably improve the efficiency of the speaker vibration harvester by tuning some extra mass that you place at the center of the speaker. Be sure to use a non-ferrous material when adding weight there. Quiz Question -- Why non-ferrous?The efficiency of a spring is around 0.7 - 1.0%.
Tony17
I 've got a project, and I 've been searching all over to find an answer; what is the efficiency of the accelerometer itself (p.e. in its use in smart-devices as screen-orientation method)?

Or do you know, what is the efficiency (approximately of a regular spring (NOT into void)?

Thank you very much,
Tony

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tony17 said:
I 've got a project, and I 've been searching all over to find an answer; what is the efficiency of the accelerometer itself (p.e. in its use in smart-devices as screen-orientation method)?

Or do you know, what is the efficiency (approximately of a regular spring (NOT into void)?

Thank you very much,
Tony
The word "efficiency" does not seem appropriate here. Maybe a more appropriate question (in the EE forum) would be what is in the datasheet for orientation sensors in cellphones? But then we would just ask you for a link to a typical datasheet... :smile:

Last edited:
berkeman said:
The word "efficiency" does not seem appropriate here. Maybe a more appropriate question (in the EE forum) would be what is in the datasheet for orientation sensors in cellphones? But then we would just ask you for a link to a typical datasheet... :smile:
Thanks for the quick answer :D! You're saving me here! So efficiency is not quite right here huh? That's a problem... My project is asking for analysis of systems/layouts/devices that work using -not exclusively- gravitational potential as an energy source and their efficiency percentage. But if this word doesn't work, maybe I was wrong and the whole device is out of point of the subject? Could you please give me your opinion on this? Also, what about a spring's efficiency?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony17 said:
Thanks for the quick answer :D! You're saving me here! So efficiency is not quite right here huh? That's a problem... My project is asking for analysis of systems/layouts/devices that work using -not exclusively- gravitational potential as an energy source and their efficiency percentage. But if this word doesn't work, maybe I was wrong and the whole device is out of point of the subject? Could you please give me your opinion on this? Also, what about a spring's efficiency?
Oh, it sounds more like you are asking about energy harvesting from vibration? You can't use GPE all by itself as an energy source (at least not as part of an energy cycle with no other work inputs), so you must be looking at vibration?

In that case, you would look at different kinds of accelerometers to see which ones used something like a coil and moving magnet. But that may be hard to find, and you should be looking at small speakers (which use a voice coil around a cylindrical magnet to generate movement). If you vibrate them in the axis of the speaker, you can harvest small amounts of energy from that vibration...

EDIT -- And you could probably improve the efficiency of the speaker vibration harvester by tuning some extra mass that you place at the center of the speaker. Be sure to use a non-ferrous material when adding weight there. Quiz Question -- Why non-ferrous?

Last edited:
Tony17 said:
My project is asking for analysis of systems/layouts/devices that work using -not exclusively- gravitational potential as an energy source and their efficiency percentage.

So do you mean things like:

A hydro electric power station?
Tidal lagoon power station?
Weight powered clock?

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it work?

An accelerometer is an electronic sensor used to measure acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity of an object. It works by using a mass attached to a spring, which moves when the object accelerates. The movement of the mass is converted into an electrical signal that can be measured.

2. What is the efficiency of an accelerometer?

The efficiency of an accelerometer refers to how accurately it measures acceleration. It is typically expressed as a percentage and takes into account factors such as sensitivity, linearity, and noise level.

3. How is the efficiency of an accelerometer calculated?

The efficiency of an accelerometer is calculated by comparing its measured output to the actual acceleration of the object. This is usually done by subjecting the accelerometer to a known acceleration and then calculating the percentage difference between the measured output and the actual value.

4. What factors can affect the efficiency of an accelerometer?

Several factors can affect the efficiency of an accelerometer, including temperature, power supply, and physical shock or vibration. Additionally, the design and quality of the sensor itself can also impact its efficiency.

5. How can the efficiency of an accelerometer be improved?

The efficiency of an accelerometer can be improved by using a higher quality sensor, calibrating it regularly, and minimizing any external factors that may affect its accuracy. Additionally, using signal processing techniques can help to reduce noise and improve the overall efficiency of the accelerometer.