What Factors Should I Consider when Building an Accelerometer Vibration Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a circuit for a university dissertation that would use an accelerometer to sense vibration from a helicopter's gearbox. The person is unsure of how to start and what materials would be needed to build a prototype, and is seeking advice and ideas. They have done research on the Wildcat HMA aircraft and understand the use of accelerometers, but are unsure of how to integrate it into a circuit board and what components would be needed. Additional information about frequencies, amplitude, temperature ranges, and signal processing is also needed in order to select appropriate components.
Shaggy1505
Good afternoon. I am currently attempting to build a circuit for my university dissertation. I am looking to build a cct that would use an accelerometer to sense vibration from say a gearbox of a helicopter to a storage device before being transferred via Bluetooth to a laptop. My questions are. 1) would this be feasible 2) how and what materials would I require in order to build a prototype? Thank you very much in advance for your time over this

Engineering news on Phys.org
Uh ... you've chosen this for a dissertation and you have no idea where to start or if it's even possible? Sounds weird. What research HAVE you done? What have you found so far?

I know it’s possible as it is already in use to some capacity on different aircraft. Obviously I need to build a prototype and can’t exactly purchase a Wildcat aircraft so I am asking for ideas as to how I would produce a example on a smaller scale. I have carried out in depth research into areas of the Wildcat HMA aircraft that would benefit from upgrade or new design. I understand the use of accelerometers for sensing vibration but I am unsure how I would integrate this into a cct board and what components I would need to build a cct board and storage option before transferring it via Bluetooth to a laptop for the purpose of producing a prototype

Expanding what phinds said. Before you even start looking for a sensor or components for a board, you need to know:

Frequencies of interest - minimum to maximum.
Approximate amplitude of vibration - minimum to maximum.
Temperature range of surface to which the accelerometer will be attached.
Ambient temperature range for electronics.
What you will do with the readings - alarm, record, display, etc.
Electrical power supply - voltage range, spikes.
What signal processing will be needed.
What is minimum MTBF?

In order to pick board components, you need to study the sensor data sheet. Which will trigger another list of questions to answer...

Likes Tom.G

1. What is an accelerometer vibration?

An accelerometer vibration is a type of sensor that measures the acceleration or vibration of an object. It can detect vibrations in multiple axes and provide data on the amplitude, frequency, and direction of the vibrations.

2. How does an accelerometer vibration work?

An accelerometer vibration works by using a small mass attached to a spring inside the sensor. When the object it is attached to vibrates, the mass also vibrates, causing the spring to compress or stretch. This change in the spring's displacement is then measured and converted into acceleration data.

3. What are some common uses for accelerometer vibrations?

Accelerometer vibrations are commonly used in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and medical. They can be used to measure the vibration levels of machinery, diagnose problems in engines and other mechanical systems, and monitor the movement and stability of structures or buildings.

4. How accurate are accelerometer vibrations?

The accuracy of an accelerometer vibration depends on various factors such as the sensor's design, calibration, and frequency range. Generally, high-quality accelerometers can have an accuracy of up to 0.1% of the measured value.

5. Can an accelerometer vibration measure both static and dynamic acceleration?

Yes, an accelerometer vibration can measure both static and dynamic acceleration. Static acceleration refers to the constant force of gravity, while dynamic acceleration refers to the acceleration caused by movement or vibrations. Accelerometers are designed to measure both types of acceleration and can provide data on the overall acceleration of an object as well as its vibrations.