What is the emf induced in the looop?

In summary, the problem involves an elastic conducting material formed into a circular loop with a radius of 11.0 cm, placed in a perpendicular 0.900 T magnetic field. The loop's radius begins to shrink at a rate of 80.0 cm/s. To determine the induced EMF, the equation EMF = - d(change in magnetic flux)/dt is used, where the change in magnetic flux is determined by differentiating the function for either the loop's area or the magnetic field intensity. This requires knowledge of calculus and the given variables.
mr_coffee
An elastic conducting material is stretched into a circular loop of 11.0 cm radius. It is placed with its plane perpendicular to a uniform 0.900 T magnetic field. When released, the radius of the loop starts to shrink at an instantaneous rate of 80.0 cm/s. What emf is induced in the loop at that instant?

I used:
EMF = - d(change in mag flux)/dt
EMF = - (.900)(.11)^2*PI*5.027 rad/sec = -.17198, i also tried the positive version of that, both wrong. Any ideas why? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What level course is this for? I think you may be expected to do calculus. d/dt on the changing Area which is a function of circumference.

This is college level, so yes calculus is doable. So your thinking I should take the derivative of somthing?
d/dt on the changing Area which is a function of circumference.
can you expand on this alittle? For one problem I did take the derivative to get the right answer but it was actually looking like a function and it had the variable t in it...like:
The magnetic flux through the loop shown in Figure 30-35 increases according to the relation B = 6.0t2 + 7.6t, where B is in milliwebers and t is in seconds.
I took the derivative of B and then plugged in the given time to find the EMF induced at a certian time. But i don't see how I'm going to come up with a function expression in this problem. But i may not see somthing you do. THanks!

You need to always consider what is causing the change in flux. Now usually to make things simple, they always have either only the area or the magnetic field intensity changing. Then:

[tex]EMF = -\frac{d \Phi_{flux}}{dt} = -A\frac{dB}{dt} [/tex]

or

[tex]EMF = -\frac{d \Phi_{flux}}{dt} = -B\frac{dA}{dt} [/tex]

If, dA/dt or dB/dt is directly given to you, then that makes things simple. Otherwise, you must write out a function for the area or field, then differentiate that function accordingly.

Related to What is the emf induced in the looop?

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor.

2. What is the emf induced in a loop?

The emf (electromotive force) induced in a loop is the voltage generated in the loop due to the changing magnetic field. It is measured in volts.

3. How is the emf induced in a loop calculated?

The emf induced in a loop can be calculated using Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, which states that the emf is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. It can also be calculated using the equation emf = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the loop and dΦ/dt is the change in magnetic flux over time.

4. What factors affect the emf induced in a loop?

The emf induced in a loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, the size and shape of the loop, and the number of turns in the loop. It is also affected by the material of the loop, as some materials have higher resistance and can reduce the induced emf.

5. How is electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic induction is used in many everyday devices such as generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in wireless charging, induction cooktops, and electric guitars. It is a fundamental principle in the functioning of many electronic devices and power systems.