What is the equation for the center of mass of an arc?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the introduction of the "Fosbury flop" technique in high jumping by Dick Fosbury in the 1968 Olympic Games. The technique raised the world record by about 30 cm and is now used by almost every world-class jumper. It involves arching the back and placing the center of mass outside the body, resulting in a higher jump. The conversation also discusses a technical problem involving the center of mass of a thin, uniform rod bent in a circular arc. The conversation ends with the realization that the calculator was in the wrong mode, leading to an incorrect answer. The person asks for help in understanding the equation given by their TA.
DaviBones

Homework Statement

In the 1968 Olympic Games, University of Oregon jumper Dick Fosbury introduced a new technique of high jumping called the "Fosbury flop." It contributed to raising the world record by about 30 cm and is presently used by nearly every world-class jumper. In this technique, the jumper goes over the bar face up while arching his back as much as possible, as shown below. This action places his center of mass outside his body, below his back. As his body goes over the bar, his center of mass passes below the bar. Because a given energy input implies a certain elevation for his center of mass, the action of arching his back means his body is higher than if his back were straight. As a model, consider the jumper as a thin, uniform rod of length L. When the rod is straight, its center of mass is at its center. Now bend the rod in a circular arc so that it subtends an angle of θ = 80.5° at the center of the arc, as shown in Figure (b) below. In this configuration, how far outside the rod is the center of mass? Report your answer as a multiple of the rod length L.

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p9-44alt.gif

Homework Equations

L=rθ
where L is arc (rod) length.

[itex]r_{cm}=\int r \: dm[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the TA for my discussion section said it was far too advanced to expect us to do it on our own, and did a healthy amount of work for us by giving us this equation...

[itex]y_{cm}=\frac{1}{M}\int ^{ \theta / 2 }_{ - \theta / 2 } r cos\left(\theta \right) \frac{M}{L} r \: d\theta[/itex]

I've attached a picture showing what the different variables I use are. Sadly, since I think this might be where my problem is, I don't remember how he derived this, but I know it was using the equations in the "relevant equations" section, and possibly using linear momentum as well, although I'm not sure.

So I took his equation, pulled out r, L, and M, and integrated.

[itex]y_{cm}=\frac{r^{2}}{L} \left( sin\left(\frac{\theta}{2} \right) - sin\left(\frac{-\theta}{2} \right) \right) [/itex]

Plugging in (L/θ) for r gives...

[itex]y_{cm}=\frac{L}{\theta^{2}} \left( sin\left(\frac{\theta}{2} \right) - sin\left(\frac{-\theta}{2} \right) \right) [/itex]

Lastly, (since I'm looking for Δy, not y_cm) I used

Δy = r - y_cm
and
r=(L/θ)

to give me

[itex]\Delta y=\frac{L}{θ} - \frac{L}{\theta^{2}} \left( sin\left(\frac{\theta}{2} \right) - sin\left(\frac{-\theta}{2} \right) \right) [/itex]

By factoring out L and computing with θ=(80.5π/180) i get .699L ... Which isn't right, which is why I'm here. I'm not sure if the equation given to me by my TA was wrong, or if I didn't integrate right, or what, but I'm stumped..

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 858
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh man...

As a word of advice for anyone who needs this advice.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS... Check to make sure your calculator is in (degrees/radians) before you spend an hour staring at your work, an hour looking for help in real life, an hour looking for help on the internet, and an hour typing up your work in Latex on Physics Forums. Your head and your wall will thank you.

http://aberrospecus.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/today-is-fail/

Anyway, if anyone can walk me through how my TA got that equation, I would greatly appreciate it.

What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where an external force can be applied to the object without causing any rotation.

How is the center of mass of an arc calculated?

To calculate the center of mass of an arc, you need to know the radius and central angle of the arc. The center of mass can be found by dividing the arc into small sections and finding the midpoint of each section. Then, the center of mass can be calculated using the formula: x̅ = (∑mx)/M, where x̅ is the center of mass, m is the mass of each section, and M is the total mass of the arc.

Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it helps in understanding the stability and motion of an object. It is also used in calculating the gravitational force between two objects and determining the pivot point for rotational motion.

Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This is possible when the object has an irregular shape or when the mass is not evenly distributed. In such cases, the center of mass may be located at a point outside the physical boundaries of the object.

How does the center of mass of an arc affect its motion?

The center of mass of an arc affects its motion by acting as the point where the net force of the arc acts. Any external force applied to the arc will cause it to rotate around the center of mass. This is because the center of mass is the point where the mass of the arc is concentrated.