What is the fabric of space time really like?

In summary: So I believe that the concept of spacetime as a "fabric" is correct as a metaphor. The problem is that this metaphor is not properly explained. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spacetime and the use of analogies, such as a bowling ball on a trampoline or water surrounding a submerged object, to understand it. However, these analogies are flawed and it is best to learn about spacetime directly. Spacetime is not a physical thing, but rather a framework in which matter and energy exist. It can be visualized as a 3D grid of
Cyber Space
Is space time like a bowling ball on a trampoline or does it surround all matter like water does a submerged object?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither analogy is very good. I think that it is probably best to learn about spacetime directly rather than by poor analogies to other things which do not reflect most of the properties of spacetime.

DaleSpam said:
Neither analogy is very good. I think that it is probably best to learn about spacetime directly rather than by poor analogies to other things which do not reflect most of the properties of spacetime.

i was just using those as example because it is most seen and worded as space time being one dimensional and the water one was just an example of it being surrounding and 3d that surrounds the matter.

Cyber Space said:
i was just using those as example because it is most seen and worded as space time being one dimensional and the water one was just an example of it being surrounding and 3d that surrounds the matter.

As Dale said, the analogies are seriously flawed. Space-time isn't a THING at all, it is a framework in which matter and energy exist. It's just like length. It isn't a thing, but you can measure the relative positions of things in it.

phinds said:
As Dale said, the analogies are seriously flawed. Space-time isn't a THING at all, it is a framework in which matter and energy exist. It's just like length. It isn't a thing, but you can measure the relative positions of things in it.

what i was trying to refer to was the concept of the gravity of matter bending space time and how it would be, since most diagrams show it as only bending space/time on one side.

Cyber Space said:
what i was trying to refer to was the concept of the gravity of matter bending space time and how it would be, since most diagrams show it as only bending space/time on one side.

Those diagrams are seriously misleading.
Here's a recent thread you may find helpful: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=760793 and pay particular attention to the video in #3 of that thread.

Cyber Space said:
Is space time like a bowling ball on a trampoline or does it surround all matter like water does a submerged object?

Actually it's a mix of both. The "bending" of spacetime is like the trampoline, but this happens in three dimensions like the water surrounding a submerged object. The best picture I've seen is a 3d grid of lines that bend when passing by a massive object.

Cyber Space said:
In my opinion any static picture might be misleading as the function of time being part of "space-time" is missing. I therefore prefer to identify the action of gravity with the motion of neighbouring inertial bodies. If their geodesics are bent towards or away from each other (due to relative acceleration) then the space-time in this region is curved, otherwise it is flat.
In this sense you can use the trampoline picture by watching how the distance between some balls which are rolling towards the center develops over time.

Last edited:
timmdeeg said:
In my opinion any static picture might be misleading as the function of time being part of "space-time" is missing.
If time is a dimension of the diagram, then the diagram itself can be static and yet show the development over time. That is the whole point of a space-time diagram. But it still can be helpful to animate a space-time diagram, to show the progress of time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlTVIMOix3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdC0QN6f3G4

timmdeeg said:
If their geodesics are bent towards or away from each other (due to relative acceleration) then the space-time in this region is curved, otherwise it is flat. In this sense you can use the trampoline picture by watching how the distance between some balls which are rolling towards the center develops over time.
The trampoline is not a space-time diagram, just a space diagram. But the worldlines of free fallers are geodesics in space-time, not space.

The problem with spacetime diagrams is it is very difficult to depict time distortion. That is the missing key to understanding gravity. I see A.T. beat me to the punch.

Cyber Space said:
The mathematical language used to describe spacetime is called Riemannian geometry.

Riemannian geometry is used to describe geometry on spaces (called manifolds) that may be curved, such as the 2D surface of a sphere. It describes the curved manifold geometry entirely from quantities that can be measured within the manifold, e.g. on the 2D surface of a sphere without reference to the 3rd dimension.

In Riemannian geometry spacetime is a 4D curved manifold with a "signature" that leads to 3 dimensions of space and one dimension of time.

A.T. said:
The trampoline is not a space-time diagram, just a space diagram. But the worldlines of free fallers are geodesics in space-time, not space.
That's right. In case my wording wasn't correct, kindly let me know.

Cyber Space said:
Every time I see someone use the phrase fabric of spacetime it makes me ill. As stated above, there's no such "thing" as the "fabric" of spacetime. The term "fabric" is a term used as an analogy to allow one to visualize something which is curving.

It makes people suspicious when they hear physicists say that gravity is curving the "fabric" of spacetime when there's no "thing" to be curved. At least it was that way for me.

PhysicistMike said:
Every time I see someone use the phrase fabric of spacetime it makes me ill. As stated above, there's no such "thing" as the "fabric" of spacetime.
But in every theory of (quantum) gravity there is a "mathematical entity" like a 4-manifold, a Hilbert space of spin networks etc.

tom.stoer said:
But in every theory of (quantum) gravity there is a "mathematical entity" like a 4-manifold, a Hilbert space of spin networks etc.
Yes. That's quite right. Spacetime is very much a mathematical construct, a manifold. It's just not something which is made of paper and fig leaves or any other kind of matter exotic or otherwise.

PhysicistMike said:
It's just not something which is made of paper and fig leaves or any other kind of matter exotic or otherwise.
I fully agree

Likes 1 person

1. What is the fabric of space-time made of?

The fabric of space-time is not made of any physical material that we are familiar with. It is a theoretical concept used to describe the structure of the universe.

2. How is space-time different from regular space?

Space-time is a combination of the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) and the dimension of time. It is used to explain how objects move and interact in the universe.

3. What does it mean when we say space-time is curved?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the presence of massive objects, such as planets or stars, can cause space-time to curve. This curvature affects how objects move, and explains the force of gravity.

4. Can we physically see or touch space-time?

No, we cannot physically see or touch space-time because it is a theoretical concept. However, we can observe its effects on the movement of objects in the universe.

5. Is space-time constant or does it change?

According to Einstein's theory, space-time is not constant and can be affected by the presence of mass and energy. It can also be affected by the expansion of the universe. However, on a small scale, it is considered to be relatively constant.