What is the final temperature of the air in a tube

In summary, the air temperature inside the tube, T1, is greater than the temperature of the surroundings.
roldy

Homework Statement

I have a copper tube with outer radius r2 and inner radius of r1. Half the tube is exposed to the surrounding air while the other half is embedded into the ground. The outside air temperature is T2 and the ground temperature is T3. What is the air temperature inside the tube , T1, after equilibrium is reached. This is not a homework assignment but more of a thought experiment.

Homework Equations

$$\dot{Q} \frac {T_1 - T_2}{R_{Total}}$$
$$\Delta T_{tube} = \dot{Q}R_{pipe}$$

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

I was following along using the method described here https://www.engineersedge.com/heat_transfer/heat_loss_insulated_pipe_13865.htm. I then realized that the resistance of the ground needs to come into play. I'm not sure how to account for this since the problem is no longer symmetric about the axis. One possible way to solve this is to split the tube in half and solve for the temperature change in the top half and the temperature change in the bottom half. Then do another heat transfer analysis for the mixing of the two air "regions" to find the equilibrium temperature. Is this thinking correct? I can't recall from college heat transfer courses if I had such an example as this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
roldy said:
This is not a homework assignment but more of a thought experiment
You still want a complete problem statement: I suppose the lower half of the tube is filled with air, not with Earth ?
What makes you write the problem is no longer symmetric about the axis ? There is rotational symmetry as far as I can follow the description ?
roldy said:
What is the air temperature inside the tube , T1, after equilibrium is reached.
What makes you think there is one single temperature and not a temperature profile ?

Likes Chestermiller
BvU said:
You still want a complete problem statement: I suppose the lower half of the tube is filled with air, not with Earth ?
What makes you write the problem is no longer symmetric about the axis ? There is rotational symmetry as far as I can follow the description ?
What makes you think there is one single temperature and not a temperature profile ?

The whole tube is filled with air. The reason why I don't consider this problem symmetric is because of the 2 different temperature boundary conditions. After a long time, the inside of the tube should reach an equilibrium temperature.

Look at "figure" A and tell me If I understood the problem correctly.

Assuming that the temperature of the fluid inside the pipe is greater than the temperature of the surroundings, figure B should represent the temperature profile in the simpest case where outside the pipe there is only air with homogeneus properties. (The one I sketched is a radial temperature profile because cylindrical coordinates are easier to use in this case).
Case B is Simpler.

Figure C is What I think the Solution should look Like for your problem (Assuming the air is colder than the ground). I don't think there is a Simple Solution here...
IMG_20181204_154500.jpeg

Sent from my ATU-L21 using Physics Forums mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_20181204_154500.jpeg
    IMG_20181204_154500.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
That's one way of having half a tube in the ground. And here's me thinking it is standing straight up :smile: !

I'm also guessing :wink::wink:

1. What factors affect the final temperature of the air in a tube?

The final temperature of the air in a tube is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature of the air, the length and diameter of the tube, the material of the tube, and the surrounding environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

2. How can the final temperature of the air in a tube be calculated?

The final temperature of the air in a tube can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the final temperature is equal to the initial temperature multiplied by the ratio of the final volume to the initial volume. This calculation assumes that the pressure and amount of gas remain constant.

3. Why is it important to know the final temperature of the air in a tube?

Knowing the final temperature of the air in a tube is important in many scientific and industrial processes. It can help determine the efficiency of heat transfer, predict the behavior of gases in a closed system, and ensure safe operating conditions for equipment.

4. Can the final temperature of the air in a tube be controlled?

Yes, the final temperature of the air in a tube can be controlled by adjusting various factors such as the initial temperature, length and diameter of the tube, and environmental conditions. Additionally, using insulating materials or changing the material of the tube can also help control the final temperature.

5. How does the final temperature of the air in a tube differ from the final temperature of a liquid in a tube?

The final temperature of the air in a tube and a liquid in a tube can differ due to the different physical properties of gases and liquids. Gases tend to expand and contract more with changes in temperature, while liquids are less affected. Additionally, the specific heat capacity of gases and liquids can also play a role in their final temperature.