What is the flaw in my logic for solving this Newton's 2nd law problem?

In summary, the equation for the force on the block hanging from a pulley is gravity * its mass (weight), but because of the tension in the rope, the force on the block is - mg + T.
David112234

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/z9uzlyt3p/

Homework Equations

F=MA
W=MG

The Attempt at a Solution

the force on the block must be gravity *its mass (weight) since it hangs, but because of the pulley and other box pulling the other way, creating an T, the force on the hanging block should be -MG - T (from M2).
-Mg because the wight is hanging down
I tried T-MG, but it was wrong as well

It tells me it is wrong, what is the flaw in my logic?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I understand the situation-- it is in their strange x and y coordinates. Apparently they intend x and y to be the same thing-- advancement of the system such that block 2 goes up and block 1 goes down. It's not what they say, so it's a poor problem, but it would make sense as a way of expressing the main constraint on the system. This means down is the positive direction, so the answer is mg-T. Then the acceleration A is the same for both blocks, which is presumably how they want their constraint to work out.

Likes David112234
I originally tough the same, but it is also not the correct answer

Well, what we can say for sure is T and mg are in opposite directions, and they are the only forces on block 1, so you can be sure it is either T-mg or mg-T. It all depends on what sign convention their "y" coordinate is using, but since they don't say, you have to guess. The sensible one is the same as x, so that would make mg-T correct. It sounds like mg+T is the only one you haven't tried, but there's no universe where that answer makes any sense at all, unless they are imagining that the sign of the number that substitutes for T is positive at the left end of the rope and negative at the right end, which would be a pretty unusual way to look at the situation!

Likes David112234
David112234 said:
the force on the block must be gravity *its mass (weight) since it hangs, but because of the pulley and other bo
David112234 said:

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/z9uzlyt3p/

Homework Equations

F=MA
W=MG

The Attempt at a Solution

the force on the block must be gravity *its mass (weight) since it hangs, but because of the pulley and other box pulling the other way, creating an T, the force on the hanging block should be -MG - T (from M2).
-Mg because the wight is hanging down
I tried T-MG, but it was wrong as well

It tells me it is wrong, what is the flaw in my logic?
It clearly states that up is to be considered as positive for part (E).

Is the rope pulling up on Block 1 or is it pushing Block 1 down?

It should be T - m1g .

Are you sure you didn't have a typo when you tried that.

Likes David112234
Ken G said:
. It sounds like mg+T is the only one you haven't tried, but there's no universe where that answer makes any sense at all, unless they are imagining that the sign of the number that substitutes for T is positive at the left end of the rope and negative at the right end, which would be a pretty unusual way to look at the situation!

I got it, it turns out its -mg+T . The reasoning behind it is because even tho the mass on the left is pulling town, the tension is redirected as up, it pulls the hanging mass up, and gravity down. Thanks for the help.

Yes, it does make sense since they did specifically say that the +y direction is up, as Sammy5 pointed out. I thought that couldn't be the case because you said you had tried that one, but you must have made an oversight. Personally, I would not have used that +y convention, I would have made the +y direction be down, since then a_1 = a_2 is the key constraint in solving for the motion. They would have to use a_1 = - a_2 when they solve it, which I find unnecessarily awkward, but certainly not wrong.

What is Newton's 2nd law problem?

Newton's 2nd law problem is a physics problem that involves using Newton's second law of motion to solve for unknown variables such as force, mass, and acceleration.

What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

How do I solve a Newton's 2nd law problem?

To solve a Newton's 2nd law problem, you need to identify the known and unknown variables, then use the equation F=ma to set up and solve for the unknown variable.

What units are used for force, mass, and acceleration in Newton's 2nd law problem?

The SI units for force, mass, and acceleration are newtons (N), kilograms (kg), and meters per second squared (m/s^2), respectively. It is important to use consistent units when solving these problems.

What are some real-life applications of Newton's 2nd law problem?

Newton's 2nd law problem is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the force required for a car to accelerate at a certain rate, determining the mass of an object based on its acceleration, and understanding the forces at play in sports like football and soccer.