What is the Force Acting on an Object Moving at a Constant Rate?

• Thread starter Guessit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the particle's speed is much less than c throughout its motion, so the magnitude of the net force acting on it is smallest at particle locations 1, 2, and 4.
Guessit

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/WeZ2lSS

If the image isn't clear, this is what it states:

The speed of a particle of mass m increases at a constant rate as it moves along the path shown from location 1 to 2 and so on. The particle's speed is much less than c, the speed of light, throughout its motion.

Problem:

At which particle location/locations is the magnitude of the transverse component of the time rate of change of momentum ( mag. of dp / dt, perpendicular) the greatest?

At which location is the magnitude of the net force acting on the particle smallest?

Homework Equations

F = dp/dt and F = mv^2 / r (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

This question just stumped me during the exam. If the particle was speeding up at a constant rate, there was a constant force applied to it, but I do not understand how it goes tangential after a point and then makes a path with a smaller radius. Also, looking at the figure, since r was small and v was large at positions 3 and 4, I chose option E (3 and 4) for the first part since F perpendicular seemed the greatest there by mv^2/r. I also thought that since the path followed looks circular, the force experienced at 3 and 4 was the same. I do not understand how it could be circular if the speed at 4 was greater than the speed at 3.

For the second part, I picked E (same at all points) since the speed was increasing at a constant rate and I figured this implied constant acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Guessit said:
f the particle was speeding up at a constant rate, there was a constant force applied to it,
No. All that tells you is that the tangential component of the acceleration is constant in magnitude. The normal component of acceleration does not affect speed.

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. So for problem 1, since they are asking about the normal component of force, would that be the same at points 3 and 4 since the path is circular and the normal component of force would be the same at both points?

And for problem 2, the least force would be at point 2 then since there is only a tangential component for the acceleration whereas at 1,3 and 4, there is also a normal component, and hence net force would be the vector sum of those 2. Is that right?

Guessit said:
Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. So for problem 1, since they are asking about the normal component of force, would that be the same at points 3 and 4 since the path is circular and the normal component of force would be the same at both points?

And for problem 2, the least force would be at point 2 then since there is only a tangential component for the acceleration whereas at 1,3 and 4, there is also a normal component, and hence net force would be the vector sum of those 2. Is that right?
compare the centripetal force at 3 with that at 4.

mv^2/r ... and v increases, which means there is a greater centripetal force at 4. Whoops! Looks like I messed up on this one :/

Thanks guys!

1. What is force and how is it defined?

Force is defined as a push or pull on an object resulting from the interaction with another object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is force calculated?

The formula for calculating force is F = m * a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

3. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental types of forces: gravity, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other types of forces include friction, tension, normal force, and applied force.

4. How does force affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. This means that forces can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

5. How is force related to mass and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force on an object, the greater its acceleration, and the greater the mass of the object, the smaller its acceleration will be.