What is the force responsible for bonding between atoms in a covalent molecule?

In summary: The electromagnetic force is the interaction that holds everything together. It let's a nucleus attract electrons (and electrons attract nuclei).
Anonymous Vegetable
In a covalent bonded molecule, what is the force responsible for the molecule staying together. To my knowledge it's to do with electrons of opposite spins and being at a lower energy with valence shells filled but what is the force itself that pulls a second atom along if the atom it's bonded to is pulled?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The electromagnetic interaction. Pull one nucleus, and you stretch the electron orbital a bit, the electron gets a slightly higher wavefunction amplitude between the two atoms and follows the pulled nucleus partially, that also let's the second nucleus follow.
That is a very classical description, but it works surprisingly well.

Anonymous Vegetable said:
To my knowledge it's to do with electrons of opposite spins and being at a lower energy with valence shells filled
H2+ is a counterexample to that. The bond comes in the first place because the electron(s) forming the bond get to interact with the other nucleus, and the orbital spreads over both nuclei, lower the electron's energy. The presence of electron density in between the nuclei also helps reduce their Coulomb repulsion.

DrClaude said:
The presence of electron density in between the nuclei also helps reduce their Coulomb repulsion.
I know that this is a common description, but I really don't like it. The force between the protons is not altered at all. You just get an attractive force between protons and electron(s) in addition.

Likes Fervent Freyja
mfb said:
The electromagnetic interaction. Pull one nucleus, and you stretch the electron orbital a bit, the electron gets a slightly higher wavefunction amplitude between the two atoms and follows the pulled nucleus partially, that also let's the second nucleus follow.
That is a very classical description, but it works surprisingly well.
So now I think about it, and please correct me or point out if it's a silly comment but would this be a result of the magnetic part of the electromagnetic force?

I don't think it is useful to split it into components here, but it is mainly the electric part. Nothing moves very fast here.

mfb said:
I don't think it is useful to split it into components here, but it is mainly the electric part. Nothing moves very fast here.
In that case, I'm still not quite understanding how the bonded electrons enable each other to follow one another due to the electromagnetic force.

mfb said:
Which part of post 2 is unclear?
The idea that a bond between two negative charges consists of electromagnetic interaction.

The bond is not between two electrons. The bond is between the atoms, due to the attraction of electrons and nuclei.

Covalent bonding is a quantum mechanical effect. In a bond, the electrons have more space to move than in the field of a single atom. By the uncertainty principle, this reduces their momentum and thence also their kinetic energy.

DrDu said:
Covalent bonding is a quantum mechanical effect. In a bond, the electrons have more space to move than in the field of a single atom. By the uncertainty principle, this reduces their momentum and thence also their kinetic energy.
So how does the electromagnetic force come into this explanation sorry, if that's the force responsible?

The electromagnetic force is the interaction that holds everything together. It let's a nucleus attract electrons (and electrons attract nuclei).

mfb said:
The electromagnetic force is the interaction that holds everything together. It let's a nucleus attract electrons (and electrons attract nuclei).
So would it be valid, to an extent to think of it in this sequence? Electron orbitals overlap forming larger area of electron density. Both nuclei are simultaneously attracted to this area holding the molecule together.

So would it be valid, to an extent to think of it in this sequence? Electron orbitals overlap forming larger area of electron density. Both nuclei are simultaneously attracted to this area holding the molecule together.

As a first approximation it sounds OK to me. Note, that it doesn't require any magnetic part, just electrostatic attraction.

Borek said:
As a first approximation it sounds OK to me. Note, that it doesn't require any magnetic part, just electrostatic attraction.
I realize that now sorry, the guess at magnetic involvement was more a wild guess because the word spin was mentioned.

So how does the electromagnetic force come into this explanation sorry, if that's the force responsible?
Of course it is. The attraction by the nuclei forms the basin in which the electrons are moving.

1. What is the force between bonded atoms?

The force between bonded atoms is the electrostatic attraction between the positively charged nucleus of one atom and the negatively charged electrons of another atom. This force holds the atoms together in a bond.

2. How is the force between bonded atoms measured?

The force between bonded atoms is typically measured in units of energy, such as joules or electron volts. This is because it takes energy to break a bond between atoms, and the amount of energy required is a measure of the strength of the bond.

3. What factors affect the force between bonded atoms?

The force between bonded atoms is affected by several factors, including the distance between the atoms, the types of atoms involved, and the presence of any other nearby atoms or molecules. These factors can influence the strength and stability of the bond between atoms.

4. How does the force between bonded atoms affect the properties of molecules?

The force between bonded atoms plays a significant role in determining the physical and chemical properties of molecules. It affects the shape and structure of molecules, as well as their melting and boiling points, reactivity, and solubility in different substances.

5. Can the force between bonded atoms be broken?

Yes, the force between bonded atoms can be broken through various means, such as applying heat, pressure, or chemical reactions. Breaking bonds between atoms can result in the formation of new molecules or compounds with different properties.