What Is the Formula for Calculating Instantaneous Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem on instantaneous acceleration. The average acceleration during a 2-second interval is found to be 8m/s^2. To find the instantaneous acceleration at t=1.5s, a difference between adjacent velocity data points is taken and divided by the time difference. This results in a value of 11m/s^2, which is only an approximation. Calculus may be more beneficial in solving problems in physics, but it is possible to use equations without it. The book's answer of 12m/s^2 may be obtained by averaging the right-left deltas. However, due to the limited data provided, there is some confusion and further clarification may be needed.
AznBoi
Instantaneous Acceleration Help PLEASE!~~~

I have a homework problem on Instantaneous acceleration:

The engine of a model rocket accelerates the rocket vertically upward for 2seconds as follows: At t=0, speed=0; At t=1s, s=5m/s; At t=2s, s=16m/s.

a) find the average acceleration during the 2s interval and
b) find the instantaneous acceleration at t=1.5s

My work so far:

a) avg acceleration:

a=v/t , (16m/s -0m/s)/(2s-0s)
= (16m/s)/2s

a=8m/s^2 Is that right??

b) I need help on this one:

What is the easiest and simplest way to find the instantaneous accerlation? What is the simplest equation?

I found an equation on a site but I don't understand what the variables mean and what numbers I have to put in.

Equation?: a= lim t->0 (delta)v/(delta)t

On site: http://rockpile.phys.virginia.edu/arch2.pdf#search="instantaneous acceleration"

Don't understand what it means and what numbers I have to subsitute!

BTW THANKS A LOT! =D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your previous thread, you mentioned that this is from pre-calc physics, so I'll have to make some assumptions here. If you had calculus as part of this class, you would fit a smooth curve to the 3 data points, and differentiate that curve to get the instantaneous acceleration. Then use an integration to get the average of the instantaneous acceleration.

But since this is pre-calc, I'll assume that you are only supposed to use the discrete data points (this may be wrong, however -- maybe you're supposed to interpolate a few extra points for example). So the average acceleration is the average of the 3 data points you are given (not just the first and last).

To find the discrete instantaneous acceleration, you would take a difference between adjacent velocity data points, and divide by the time difference. Part of the problem with being given so little data, is that you don't know whether to take the left-right delta or the right-left delta. I'd use the right-left delta here, since the acceleration at 0 is probably the least. So I'd get something like:

t=0 -- accel = 0
t=1 -- accel = 5-0 = 5m/s^2
t=2 -- accel = 16-5 = 11m/s^2

Then the average acceleration would be the average of those 3 values of instantaneous acceleration. Since this is a discrete calculation, it is only an approximation of the real average acceleration. In fact, you can bound the average acceleration between the left-right and right-left discrete calculations. Do you see how you would do that?

EDIT -- fixed a typo...16-5=11, not 9. Doh!

So you subtract the speeds of two points?? Is learning calculus more beneficial when it comes to Physics?? You can solve problems in physics without calculus right? with equations?

So 16-5= 11m/s^2 is that an exact number?

The answer is about 12m/s^2 on the answer key. I just don't know how they got that.
Isn't there an equation using:

dv/dt or something??

Thanks.

AznBoi said:
Is learning calculus more beneficial when it comes to Physics?? You can solve problems in physics without calculus right? with equations?

Here's a recent thread discussing calculus & physics:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=130461

AznBoi said:
So 16-5= 11m/s^2 is that an exact number?

The answer is about 12m/s^2 on the answer key. I just don't know how they got that.
Isn't there an equation using:

dv/dt or something??

Well, interpolating two extra points at 0.5s and 1.5s, and taking the lower bound sum and upper bound sum, I get between 4.5m/s^2 and 8.5m/s^2. So the book must be doing the simple discrete calculation, with the max right-left deltas. They are averaging 5 and 16 over 2s, and getting 21/2 m/s^2 ?

EDIT -- this is a weird problem. I don't think I'll be able to be of much more help. You may just have to wait for class to get clarification. Or maybe another homework helper will stop by and see through the confusion. Good luck!

Ok thanks anyways. :smile:

Related to What Is the Formula for Calculating Instantaneous Acceleration?

What is instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity at a specific point in time. It is the acceleration at a single moment, rather than an average over a period of time.

How is instantaneous acceleration calculated?

Instantaneous acceleration can be calculated by taking the derivative of an object's velocity with respect to time. This can be represented by the equation: a = dv/dt, where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in an object's velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be thought of as an average rate of change, while instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change at a single point.

What factors can affect instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration can be affected by several factors, including the object's mass, the net force acting on it, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance. The object's initial velocity and direction of motion can also impact its instantaneous acceleration.

Why is instantaneous acceleration important in physics?

Instantaneous acceleration is an important concept in physics because it allows us to understand how an object's velocity changes at a specific moment in time. This can help us analyze and predict the motion of objects, as well as understand the forces acting on them.