Calculating angles of rotation for 2 interconnected levers

In summary: I wish you luck in understanding it.In summary, the user is having difficulty calculating the angle for the fuel arm rotation relative to the input arm rotation.
gumanov
Hi all,
This isn't really "homework" - it's a personal project I'm working on.
I'm attempting to animate some mechanical controls of a turbine engine in Adobe After Effects.
Having a hard time with the math for "rotating two interconnected points".
Here is a photo for visual aid:
Interconnect_rod.png

It's basically two mechanical "levers" that are connected together by a rod. The right one is the input (green arm), which controls the "fuel arm" to the left.

I managed to get the rod to rotate properly with the rotation of the input (and the rod automatically faces itself toward the anchor point of the fuel arm), but I can't figure out a way to calculate the proper angle for the fuel arm rotation (relative to input rotation angle).

For example: If green input arm is rotated by 30 degrees, the resultant angle of fuel arm rotation is roughly 42.5 degrees. I'd like to figure out the math formula behind this, so it will be done automatically within the Adobe After Effects software without me constantly having to manually rotate the fuel arm after rotating the green input arm.

Note: The mechanism is physically limited in the range of -40 degrees to +60 degrees, so the green input arm will never be outside of that range.

In the top image, the mechanism is at its' initial "zero" point. All rotations are done from this initial point.
So ultimately it's the rotation angle of line "E" that I'm after, in relation to the rotation angle of line "F".

Thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

• Interconnect_rod.png
    Interconnect_rod.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,070
Engineering news on Phys.org
gumanov said:
Hi all,
This isn't really "homework" - it's a personal project I'm working on.
I'm attempting to animate some mechanical controls of a turbine engine in Adobe After Effects.
Having a hard time with the math for "rotating two interconnected points".
Here is a photo for visual aid:
View attachment 238218

It's basically two mechanical "levers" that are connected together by a rod. The right one is the input (green arm), which controls the "fuel arm" to the left.

I managed to get the rod to rotate properly with the rotation of the input (and the rod automatically faces itself toward the anchor point of the fuel arm), but I can't figure out a way to calculate the proper angle for the fuel arm rotation (relative to input rotation angle).

For example: If green input arm is rotated by 30 degrees, the resultant angle of fuel arm rotation is roughly 42.5 degrees. I'd like to figure out the math formula behind this, so it will be done automatically within the Adobe After Effects software without me constantly having to manually rotate the fuel arm after rotating the green input arm.

Note: The mechanism is physically limited in the range of -40 degrees to +60 degrees, so the green input arm will never be outside of that range.

In the top image, the mechanism is at its' initial "zero" point. All rotations are done from this initial point.
So ultimately it's the rotation angle of line "E" that I'm after, in relation to the rotation angle of line "F".

Thanks for any suggestions!
Hello @gumanov .

:welcome:

I'm not sure this is the proper forum for your thread. (I'll ask the Mentors to look into that.)

Some dimensions will be needed including some angles. That's for sure.

The relationship between the angle formed by "Line E" and "Line C" and the angle formed by "Line F" and "Line C" is somewhat complicated.

The amount the fuel arm rotates is not simply related to the amount the input arm rotates.

This is what mechanical engineers call a "four bar linkage." Look on the net for that term, and I'm pretty sure you will find a lot.

Likes jim hardy

1. How do you calculate the angle of rotation for 2 interconnected levers?

The angle of rotation for 2 interconnected levers can be calculated using the formula: θ = (l1/l2) * α, where θ is the angle of rotation, l1 is the length of the first lever, l2 is the length of the second lever, and α is the angle of rotation for the first lever.

2. What is the significance of calculating the angle of rotation for 2 interconnected levers?

Calculating the angle of rotation for 2 interconnected levers is important because it helps determine the mechanical advantage of the system. This information is crucial in understanding the efficiency and effectiveness of the lever system in performing work.

3. Can the angle of rotation for 2 interconnected levers be greater than 180 degrees?

Yes, the angle of rotation for 2 interconnected levers can be greater than 180 degrees. This can occur when the two levers are connected in a way that allows for a larger range of motion.

4. Are there any assumptions made when calculating the angle of rotation for 2 interconnected levers?

Yes, the formula for calculating the angle of rotation assumes that the levers are rigid and that there is no friction or external forces acting on the system. In real-world situations, these assumptions may not hold true and may affect the accuracy of the calculated angle.

5. How can the angle of rotation for 2 interconnected levers be used in real-world applications?

The angle of rotation for 2 interconnected levers can be used in various real-world applications, such as in designing and optimizing machinery, determining the force required to move objects, and understanding the movement of joints in the human body. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics.