What is the Formula for Computing Surface Metric on a PF Surface?

In summary, the formula for computing surface metric on a PF surface involves taking the determinant of the metric tensor and then using that value to calculate the surface metric. This formula is used in differential geometry to measure the curvature and properties of a surface, and is an essential tool in many areas of mathematics and physics. It allows for a precise understanding of the shape and behavior of surfaces, and is an important concept to grasp for further study and application.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm trying to compute

$$
\frac{1}{\sqrt g}\frac{\partial}{\partial u^\mu}\left( \sqrt g g^{\mu v} \frac{\partial \eta(s,\phi))}{\partial u^v} \right)
$$

where I found

$$
\sqrt g = \csc^2\alpha \sin s\\
g =
\begin{bmatrix}
\csc^2\alpha &0\\
0 & \csc^2\alpha\sin^2 s
\end{bmatrix}
$$

where ##\mu,v = 1,2##. Can someone help me out here? I can link the paper I'm reading this from if it helps, but I think I've communicated everything relevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone point me in a direction where I could figure out how to compute the above?

Nevermind, I got it

1. What is surface metric computation?

Surface metric computation is a mathematical process used to calculate the geometric properties of a surface. This includes measures such as curvature, area, and distance between points on a surface.

2. What is the significance of surface metric computation?

Surface metric computation is important in many fields, such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics, as it allows us to accurately model and analyze the behavior of surfaces in various applications.

3. What are some methods used for surface metric computation?

There are several methods used for surface metric computation, including differential geometry, numerical methods, and discrete differential geometry. Each method has its own strengths and weaknesses, and the choice of method depends on the specific application and type of surface being analyzed.

4. Can surface metric computation be applied to any type of surface?

Yes, surface metric computation can be applied to any type of surface, whether it is a smooth, continuous surface or a discrete, irregular surface. However, the specific method used may differ depending on the type of surface being analyzed.

5. How is surface metric computation used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, surface metric computation is used to create realistic 3D models and animations. By accurately calculating the geometric properties of surfaces, it allows for the creation of realistic lighting and shading effects, as well as realistic movements and interactions between surfaces.