What is the formula for converting decibels to a power ratio?

In summary, the question asks for the power of the sound produced by a firework explosion at 40 metres height, given that the sound measures at 100 dB at ground level. The solution involves using the formula ##A = B \log_{10} C## and simplifying it to ##C = 10^(A/B)##. The exponent of 10 comes from the fact that the base of the logarithm is 10.
AgustRunarsson
Note: I'm sorry if I have to use the template, but I already have the solution, I just do not understand it and need help understanding it.
1. Question: A firework explodes at a 40 metre height and gives off a bang which measures at 100 dB at ground level. What is the power of the sound that comes off the firework?

This is the solution:

xlcdqf.png

I understand what is going on, for the most part.
What I do not understand exactly is at the second part the "100 dB" becomes 10^100dB/10 which removes the log. How? I understand that the exponent is 10 in "10*log" but I don't really understand how the 10 comes from in the exponent of the 10 itself.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• xlcdqf.png
    xlcdqf.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
AgustRunarsson said:
What I do not understand exactly is at the second part the "100 dB" becomes 10^100dB/10 which removes the log. How? I understand that the exponent is 10 in "10*log" but I don't really understand how the 10 comes from in the exponent of the 10 itself.

If ##A = B \log_{10} C##, then ##A/B = \log_{10} C##, and ##C =##?

What is the definition of sound?

Sound is a type of energy that is produced by vibrations and travels through a medium, such as air or water, as a wave.

How are sound waves produced?

Sound waves are produced by an object or source vibrating at a certain frequency, causing the molecules in the surrounding medium to also vibrate and create a wave.

What factors affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is affected by the temperature, density, and elasticity of the medium through which it is traveling. For example, sound travels faster in warmer air than in cooler air.

How does the frequency of a sound wave affect pitch?

The frequency of a sound wave is directly related to its pitch. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch and the lower the frequency, the lower the pitch.

What is the Doppler effect in relation to sound waves?

The Doppler effect is the perceived change in frequency of a sound wave due to the relative motion between the source of the sound and the observer. For example, a siren on an approaching ambulance will sound higher in frequency as it gets closer, and then lower in frequency as it moves away.