What is the Hydrogen Emission Spectrum for Transitions to the n = 1 Level?

In summary, the conversation discusses the wavelengths emitted from a hydrogen gas discharge tube and their association with transitions from higher levels down to the n = 1 level. The equations and attempt at a solution provided show that the level transitions yield photons with wavelengths corresponding to UV light. It is clarified that m and n must be kept as whole numbers due to quantization.
d.tran119

Homework Statement

What wavelengths emitted from a hydrogen gas discharge tube are associated with transitions from higher levels down to the n = 1 level?
[a] infrared
visible
[c] mixture of infrared and visible
[d] ultraviolet

Homework Equations

Equations:
1/λ = Rh[1/(m^2)-1/(n^2)] Rh = 1.09 x 10^7 m^-1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone explain hydrogen gas electron transition to me? This stuff is a little over my head.

I obtained various wavelengths with arbitrary quantum numbers greater than 1. I took +infinity as a bound since higher quantum numbers reaches the series limit.
1/λ*(1 m/10^ 9 nm) = (1.097e-7 m^-1)[1/(1^2)-1/(infinity)]
λ (+infinity ,1)= 91.6 nm

1/λ*(1 m/10^ 9 nm) = (1.097e-7 m^-1)[1/(1^2)-1/(4^2)]
λ (4 ,1)= 4.86 nm

The level transitions yield a photon with wavelengths corresponding to UV light.

I’m confused though because taking bounds of the 1.01 type down to 1 allows the photon to be associated with different lights. Do I have to keep m and n whole when doing this problem? With m & n being non-integral values n can be taken arbitrarily closer and closer to 1 (with n>1) pushing the wavelength to positive infinity. Non-integral values possesses a different number of points in a dimensional space corresponding to different emissions.

Physics news on Phys.org
d.tran119 said:

Homework Statement

What wavelengths emitted from a hydrogen gas discharge tube are associated with transitions from higher levels down to the n = 1 level?
[a] infrared
visible
[c] mixture of infrared and visible
[d] ultraviolet

Homework Equations

Equations:
1/λ = Rh[1/(m^2)-1/(n^2)] Rh = 1.09 x 10^7 m^-1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone explain hydrogen gas electron transition to me? This stuff is a little over my head.

I obtained various wavelengths with arbitrary quantum numbers greater than 1. I took +infinity as a bound since higher quantum numbers reaches the series limit.
1/λ*(1 m/10^ 9 nm) = (1.097e-7 m^-1)[1/(1^2)-1/(infinity)]
λ (+infinity ,1)= 91.6 nm

1/λ*(1 m/10^ 9 nm) = (1.097e-7 m^-1)[1/(1^2)-1/(4^2)]
λ (4 ,1)= 4.86 nm

The level transitions yield a photon with wavelengths corresponding to UV light.

I’m confused though because taking bounds of the 1.01 type down to 1 allows the photon to be associated with different lights. Do I have to keep m and n whole when doing this problem? With m & n being non-integral values n can be taken arbitrarily closer and closer to 1 (with n>1) pushing the wavelength to positive infinity. Non-integral values possesses a different number of points in a dimensional space corresponding to different emissions.

Yes, you have to keep m and n whole numbers. That's quantization. There are only discrete states for bound electrons.

Okay I understand this now. Thanks a lot!

Related to What is the Hydrogen Emission Spectrum for Transitions to the n = 1 Level?

1. What is the hydrogen emission spectrum?

The hydrogen emission spectrum is the pattern of wavelengths of light that are emitted by hydrogen atoms when they are excited and then return to their ground state. It is unique to hydrogen and is often used as a reference in spectroscopy.

2. How is the hydrogen emission spectrum produced?

The hydrogen emission spectrum is produced when hydrogen atoms are excited by an external energy source, such as heat or electricity. This causes the electrons in the atoms to jump to higher energy levels. When the electrons return to their ground state, they release energy in the form of light, which can be observed as different colored lines on a spectrum.

3. What does the hydrogen emission spectrum tell us about the structure of an atom?

The hydrogen emission spectrum is significant because it provides evidence for the quantized nature of energy levels in atoms. The specific wavelengths of light emitted correspond to the energy differences between these levels, which are determined by the electron's position and movement within the atom.

4. How does the hydrogen emission spectrum relate to the Bohr model of the atom?

The Bohr model of the atom was developed to explain the hydrogen emission spectrum. It proposes that electrons in an atom can only exist in specific, discrete energy levels, and that the emission spectrum results from the movement of electrons between these levels. This model laid the foundation for our understanding of atomic structure and led to the development of modern quantum mechanics.

5. Why is the hydrogen emission spectrum important in astronomy?

The hydrogen emission spectrum is important in astronomy because it is a key tool for studying the composition and temperature of stars. The distinctive spectral lines of hydrogen can be used to identify different types of stars and determine their surface temperature. This information is crucial for understanding the evolution and behavior of stars and the universe as a whole.