Hydr. force on a triang. tank (force one end & pumping out)

In summary: The water is 3 feet deep, but the trough is only 2 feet wide. There needs to be a different way to express the width and the depth so that the width is still 2 feet when y = 0 and the depth is still 3 feet when y = 3.Yes, it would work if you made it (6 - y). This would allow for the width to be 2 feet when y = 0 and the depth to be 3 feet when y = 3.
leo255

Homework Statement

[/B]
You are given a triangular trough (base of triangle on top) that is 15 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 3 feet tall.

a. Find the force of the water on one triangular end.
b. Find the work required to pump all the water over the top.

Just a note: This was question that I got wrong on a previous exam. I am doing it over now to study for the final, and don't know the answer, so my work could be correct or incorrect. Please feel free to be critical of any mistakes/errors that I make. I try to explain my reasoning in my attempt at the solution.

Homework Equations

Water weighs 62.4 lb/ft^3.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a: I believe I will need area * depth * water weight (62.4 lb/ft^3)

The height is 3 feet, so I made the height of wi to be (3-y). To get the width of wi, I used similar triangles, and ended up with 3 - 2y/3. So, I have the depth (3-y) * the area of wi (3 - 2y/3 dy) * the water weight (62.4).

I integrated from 0 to 3 of 62.4 (3 - y)(3 - 2y/3) dy.

For b:

I feel I can use the above integral, and add to it (the area of the thin strip will still be wi * 3-y * the water weight. Since we're using the entire tank, I need to use the 15 feet length, and since this is work required to empty the tank, I feel that I will need to introduce the gravitational constant (9.8 m/s^2).

So, I integrate, from 0 to 3, of 15 * 9.8 * 62.4 * (3-2y/3)(3-y) dy

= 9172.8 * the integral, from 0 to 3, of (3 - 2y/3)(3-y) dy

Physics news on Phys.org
leo255 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
You are given a triangular trough (base of triangle on top) that is 15 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 3 feet tall.

a. Find the force of the water on one triangular end.
b. Find the work required to pump all the water over the top.

Just a note: This was question that I got wrong on a previous exam. I am doing it over now to study for the final, and don't know the answer, so my work could be correct or incorrect. Please feel free to be critical of any mistakes/errors that I make. I try to explain my reasoning in my attempt at the solution.

Homework Equations

Water weighs 62.4 lb/ft^3.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a: I believe I will need area * depth * water weight (62.4 lb/ft^3)

The height is 3 feet, so I made the height of wi to be (3-y). To get the width of wi, I used similar triangles, and ended up with 3 - 2y/3. So, I have the depth (3-y) * the area of wi (3 - 2y/3 dy) * the water weight (62.4).

I integrated from 0 to 3 of 62.4 (3 - y)(3 - 2y/3) dy.

But what's your final answer?

For b:

I feel I can use the above integral, and add to it (the area of the thin strip will still be wi * 3-y * the water weight. Since we're using the entire tank, I need to use the 15 feet length, and since this is work required to empty the tank, I feel that I will need to introduce the gravitational constant (9.8 m/s^2).

You can't use 9.8 m/s2 here. Why?

So, I integrate, from 0 to 3, of 15 * 9.8 * 62.4 * (3-2y/3)(3-y) dy

= 9172.8 * the integral, from 0 to 3, of (3 - 2y/3)(3-y) dy

Using a calculator, I got 656.25 lbs of total force for A. Yeah, you can't use meters because the triangle is measured in feet - that was a dumb mistake. Would I just replace that with 32.15 ft/sec^2?

Using that for B, I would get approximately 316,476.56. Not sure exactly which unit of measure to use for this.

Last edited:
leo255 said:
Using a calculator, I got 656.25 lbs of total force for A. Yeah, you can't use meters because the triangle is measured in feet - that was a dumb mistake. Would I just replace that with 32.15 ft/sec^2?

That's OK. g is usually taken as 32.2 ft/s2 in the imperial units.

leo255 said:
Using that for B, I would get approximately 316,476.56. Not sure exactly which unit of measure to use for this.

If you are calculating work, then you must have units for work (force * distance, eh?)

Going back to your derivation of the hydrostatic force, you used the depth as (3 - y) and the width wi as (3 - 2y/3). When y = 3 feet, the depth is zero, but wi must be 2 feet, the width of the trough at the top. Similarly, when y = 0, wi must be zero, since we are at the bottom of the trough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it work if I made it (6 - y) instead?

Last edited:
leo255 said:
Would it work if I made it (6 - y) instead?

You can answer that question yourself. Try drawing a sketch of the end of the trough.

1. What is hydraulic force on a triangular tank and how is it calculated?

Hydraulic force on a triangular tank refers to the pressure exerted by a liquid on the walls of the tank. It is calculated by multiplying the area of the triangular end of the tank by the height of the liquid and the density of the liquid.

2. How does the shape of the triangular tank affect the hydraulic force?

The shape of the triangular tank does not affect the hydraulic force, as long as the area of the triangular end is known and the liquid is at the same height. The shape only affects the volume of the tank.

3. Can you explain the concept of force on one end and pumping out?

Force on one end refers to the pressure exerted by the liquid on one end of the tank. Pumping out refers to the process of removing liquid from the tank, which decreases the height of the liquid and consequently decreases the hydraulic force.

4. How does the rate of pumping out affect the hydraulic force?

The rate of pumping out affects the hydraulic force by decreasing it at a faster rate. The faster the liquid is removed from the tank, the lower the height of the liquid and the lower the hydraulic force.

5. Are there any safety considerations when dealing with hydraulic force on a triangular tank?

Yes, it is important to consider the strength and stability of the tank as well as the pressure and weight of the liquid. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols when pumping out the liquid to prevent accidents or spills.