What is the impact of life on Earth and its environment?

• Thread starter korben dallas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speculation
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of black holes and the complexity of the universe. The speaker expresses their interest in the subject and questions whether there could be multiple dimensions and big bangs. They also mention the limitations of current scientific understanding and the constant speculation and uncertainty surrounding the origins of the universe. The conversation ends with the speaker apologizing for any offense caused and acknowledging their lack of expertise in the subject.
korben dallas
I am interested in black-holes because, even though I have no education to speak of and somebody here don't like me for it, I think differently about them. It is said there are 11 dimensions. Could it be that there have been 7 big bangs with the first one producing 4 dimensions and the next six permutations each producing a "new dimension". They(scientists) say they don't know if the universe shrinks back to another big bang or if it is going to expand forever. If the big bang were to happen again could there then be twelve dimensions? It just seems to me that, with all the knowledge and efforts given to answer origin questions, they would be closer to knowing but they still don't have a clue. They reach a point and then... nothing. All they are left with is speculation. It's like it(the answer to all the universes mysteries) is hiding itself in reflections, so as to never be revealed, because the same questions always arise, "Is there a God"? "Is it natural"? Maybe we're not supposed to know. I don't know, but I do know that no one on this site has the answers, but don't feel bad, neither does Michio Kaku, or any other physicists for that matter, and you can take that to the bank! Peace!

Space news on Phys.org
korben dallas said:
They(scientists) say they don't know if the universe shrinks back to another big bang or if it is going to expand forever.

Current observation indicates it can never shrink. So no, scientists aren't saying this.
If the big bang were to happen again could there then be twelve dimensions? It just seems to me that, with all the knowledge and efforts given to answer origin questions, they would be closer to knowing but they still don't have a clue. They reach a point and then... nothing. All they are left with is speculation. It's like it(the answer to all the universes mysteries) is hiding itself in reflections, so as to never be revealed, because the same questions always arise, "Is there a God"? "Is it natural"? Maybe we're not supposed to know. I don't know, but I do know that no one on this site has the answers, but don't feel bad, neither does Michio Kaku, or any other physicists for that matter, and you can take that to the bank! Peace!

1. What does any of this have to do with evolution?

2. Where does anyone proclaim "to know" anything? We observe and hypothesise / theorise. We don't say anything for definite on these matters.

3. By the looks of it, you have tried to combine three separate subjects: origin of the universe, origin of life and evolution. This can't be done, they aren't 'connnected' in that way.

Why do you expect us to know more than we do about the universe and the big bang? We don't have a time machine to take us back in time. We can't even leave our own solar system yet, which is so incomprehensibly tiny compared to the universe its amazing. The entirety of our view on the origin of the universe comes from looking through telescopes and applying the known laws of physics to what we see. And the laws are constantly being changed and made more accurate as we go along.

One thing I can say is that plain vanilla GR definitely can't answer the question of whether dimensions might have been created or destroyed. GR is formulated on a manifold, and a manifold has the same dimensionality everywhere. That doesn't mean that the number of dimensions can't change -- it just means that if it did, GR can't describe that process. (The standard formulation of GR can't even describe a change of signature.)

I don't know much about string theory, but doesn't string theory only work in certain numbers of dimensions? If so, then it probably can't describe such a process either. I imagine that loop quantum gravity or causal dynamical triangulation might be able to.

You know what? I am very sorry! I do not mean to upset anyone nor do I expect anyone to know more about anything. "I" expect nothing. If I offended anyone, please except my apology. I guess I stumbled onto the wrong site, lol! From what I see this is a serious site devoted learning and teaching. You won't be seein' no more stupid posts from me,lol. I promise not to ask anything only "GOD" can answer. Peace! P.S. Once again please accept my apology!

I think you have taken offence for no reason. None of our posts were aimed at making you look stupid or anything. Try not to read too much from text. :)

Drakkith said:
I think you have taken offence for no reason. None of our posts were aimed at making you look stupid or anything. Try not to read too much from text. :)
What? Me take offence?? Never! Lol, don't nobody need to worry about my feelings. I know clearly when I am out of my league, and this, "clearly", is one of those times, lol! I don't think I'm "st, st, stoopid", lol. Though I'm not smart educationally, I believe I am intelligent. How much so remains to be seen. Peace Brothers!

korben dallas said:
What? Me take offence?? Never! Lol, don't nobody need to worry about my feelings. I know clearly when I am out of my league, and this, "clearly", is one of those times, lol! I don't think I'm "st, st, stoopid", lol. Though I'm not smart educationally, I believe I am intelligent. How much so remains to be seen. Peace Brothers!

Haha you've clearly taken offence. No one knows exactly what question you've asked. It seems like you want to spark interest and have a discussion about why we aren't close at all to "figuring out the universe", but haven't given much to work with. Maybe isolate some questions that you want to be addressed, and have them well thought out.

dacruick said:
Haha you've clearly taken offence. No one knows exactly what question you've asked. It seems like you want to spark interest and have a discussion about why we aren't close at all to "figuring out the universe", but haven't given much to work with. Maybe isolate some questions that you want to be addressed, and have them well thought out.
I must admit I did feel a twang of envy, education wise, but am not offended at all. My Friend, if I was mad I would let it be known. I do promise to make my gist clear when I post. Have a good day Brothers! Peace! P.S. This thread is dead. Do you agree?

korben dallas said:
I must admit I did feel a twang of envy, education wise, but am not offended at all. My Friend, if I was mad I would let it be known. I do promise to make my gist clear when I post. Have a good day Brothers! Peace! P.S. This thread is dead. Do you agree?

Yes I agree that this thread is dead. The only reason anyone thinks you've taken offence is that you're so quick to shoot yourself down in terms of knowledge and "education". Instead of making your question more clear and concise, you apologized for your question, and apologized for ever being on this forum to begin with. It just seems like an extreme response to the situation. I personally would like to hear what others have to say on this topic, as I have no education in this matter myself.

jarednjames said:
Current observation indicates it can never shrink. So no, scientists aren't saying this.

1. What does any of this have to do with evolution?

2. Where does anyone proclaim "to know" anything? We observe and hypothesise / theorise. We don't say anything for definite on these matters.

3. By the looks of it, you have tried to combine three separate subjects: origin of the universe, origin of life and evolution. This can't be done, they aren't 'connnected' in that way.

To me the concept of evolution begins after the Big Bang, which I believe is "Forced"(GOD?) and everything after is "Nature takes it's course". Is this what GOD wanted or is everything the result of some experiment gone awry?? Peace!

korben dallas said:
To me the concept of evolution begins after the Big Bang,

Well it can be whatever you want it to be. That doesn't mean it applies in reality.

By evolution, I assume you refer to life. As such, it's a completely separate subject.
which I believe is "Forced"(GOD?)

Your beliefs are your own, I have no interest in them. Neither does science. Let's keep the discussion with science shall we, this isn't the place for religious talk.
Is this what GOD wanted or is everything the result of some experiment gone awry??

Given there is no evidence of either, that is a baseless idea with no valid discussion points here.

jarednjames said:
Well it can be whatever you want it to be. That doesn't mean it applies in reality.

By evolution, I assume you refer to life. As such, it's a completely separate subject.Your beliefs are your own, I have no interest in them. Neither does science. Let's keep the discussion with science shall we, this isn't the place for religious talk.Given there is no evidence of either, that is a baseless idea with no valid discussion points here.
The reality is, all the stuff we are made of is because of the evolution of every element or particle after, and because of, the big bang. It is my understanding that the "stuff" we(humans)are made of was not present right after the big bang and only came into existence after extreme forces and processes produced them so you presume wrong... when I say evolution I mean the evolution of "everything". I mean GOD followed by a question mark as representing "The age old question" is all, I'm not asking anyone to believe in anything nor do "I" care what anyone believes in, that's not the point. My point is matter cannot be created or destroyed yet here we sit, you close-minded, dictating hard science (when the thread title obviously asks for something different) and me not liking the criticism,lol! I agree, this is not the place for religion! So 'My" thread has no valid discussion points and this means science is happy with where it sits now? I can't believe that! If I want to know then so does science, because, like I say, science can only answer questions to a certain point then there must be speculation. I guess instead of saying god I could've said string theory,lol. Peace Brothers!

Last edited:
korben dallas said:
evolution of "everything".

Something that should have been clear from the start.

Evolution in a broad sense is related to life.
you close-minded, dictating hard science (when the thread title obviously asks for something different)

Me, following forum rules - that you also agreed to on sign up. We go with mainstream science here, not wild speculation and your "something more".
So 'My" thread has no valid discussion points and science is happy with where it sits now?

Science is constantly developing and expanding its knowledge. It doesn't 'sit' here and claim to know everything. I say there are no valid discussion points because the way this thread has gone appears that you are asking what happened pre-big bang and to cause it, of which there are no answers science can provide. Plus you have brought up the big "g" and so I've taken it as a question of whether or not there's a god.

jarednjames said:
Something that should have been clear from the start.

Evolution in a broad sense is related to life.Me, following forum rules - that you also agreed to on sign up. We go with mainstream science here, not wild speculation and your "something more".Science is constantly developing and expanding its knowledge. It doesn't 'sit' here and claim to know everything. I say there are no valid discussion points because the way this thread has gone appears that you are asking what happened pre-big bang and to cause it, of which there are no answers science can provide. Plus you have brought up the big "g" and so I've taken it as a question of whether or not there's a god.
I am sorry for saying you are close minded. You are obviously a man of science and logic, so please, I mean no disrespect. I am also sorry for speculating when the forum rules demand otherwise. I believe the correct forum for this line of curiosity would be existential in nature so I will look for such a place and keep my involvement here strictly scientific. The reason I may seem a little hard-headed is the "Where did we come from" and "Why are we here" questions have become quite an obsession with me lately. Isn't string theory a lot of guessing(speculation) and jumping to conclusions like "If it (the answer) fits it must be right"? I only ask because there seems to be, on other forums, a lot of criticism and disbelief concerning sting theory. Is it the same way here on this forum? Peace Brothers!

korben dallas said:
Where did we come from" and "Why are we here" questions have become quite an obsession with me lately

Why obsess over something you can never find the answer to?

Asking why we are here is the same as asking why water is here.

dacruick said:
Why obsess over something you can never find the answer to?

Asking why we are here is the same as asking why water is here.
Mayhap that is true for the "Where do we come from" question but I believe the answer to the "Why (or how) we are here is obvious and my answer does not come from speculation but from observation. Everything (plants and animals) that has, and is, evolving on our planet has done so in a sort of harmonic and beneficial way to the Earth and each other right to the beginning of the industrial revolution. Before the industrial revolution we had none of the pollutants and chemicals that are now hurting and killing our planet. Before the industrial revolution we were just like the plants and animals in being beneficial to all, and each other. But now, with the millions of gallons of chemical dispersant used to dilute the oil from the BP oil spill in the golf, to the current release of 10,000 tonnes (20,000,000 pounds) of highly radioactive water (7.5 million x safe limits) our "status" has gone from being "beneficial" to being extremely "detrimental" to our planet. With this knowledge I compare us to the killer HIV virus. The time of "infection" was the start of the industrial revolution and we have now advanced(?) to "full-blown" status! Let's face it. We are killing Mother Earth and the global conscience is totally ignorant to the fact, or just doesn't care.The Earth's bio-diversity is now teetering on the brink of collapse, no, let me rephrase that, "is" collapsing, with no real effort to thwart it and for "all" life on the planet that spells big trouble.Peace!

Last edited:
We struck a balance, but no benefit.

We don't "benefit" the Earth and I don't see how anything else does.

We are just in part of the life span of the planet. The Earth itself doesn't give a damn whether or not we're here.

The why are we here is a non-sensical question. It implies purpose, yet there is no reason we should have one.

As above, the Earth certainly doesn't need us, neither does anything else on the planet. Natural processes take care of most things if we weren't around.

jarednjames said:
We struck a balance, but no benefit.

We don't "benefit" the Earth and I don't see how anything else does.

We are just in part of the life span of the planet. The Earth itself doesn't give a damn whether or not we're here.

The why are we here is a non-sensical question. It implies purpose, yet there is no reason we should have one.

As above, the Earth certainly doesn't need us, neither does anything else on the planet. Natural processes take care of most things if we weren't around.
I wish you would've been my teacher in school. I might have learned something, lol. You are right. I guess I could've said we co-existed with the Earth and were, however little, bio-diversely beneficial to life. Do you agree that earth, if it could, would do something about us because of all the damage we do? I totally agree with you when you say the Earth does not need us. So, like the bacteria and viruses, our only purpose here is to continue to proliferate our species at all cost, including, but not only, evolutionary mutation. How these mutations happen has sort of been explained in that it is believed the cosmic rays we are constantly bombarded with strike and alter(mutate) the DNA of a life form for better or worse with it being better for us and worse for earth. You say "If we weren't around" but we are and I believe because of it we may have and still are interfering with the planets natural processes. By that I mean, what would happen to the oil if it was never disturbed by us and only subjected to the Earth's natural processes. The same goes for gold, uranium, silver, natural gas,coal, etc... etc... etc. I mean, all this drilling, digging and extracting is undoing in a few short years what has taken the Earth eons to do so I can not see one iota of good coming from us where the Earth is concerned. I think the earth, if it could, would, like we did to smallpox, eradicate us from the planet. Peace!

Korben, what is the difference in humanity mining minerals and ores, and an earthquake causing them to be forced above ground? Only the fact that WE are doing it.

Beavers dam up rivers, birds take sticks and mud and such and build nests like we build houses, many creatures burrow through the ground and "destroy" it if you look at it from a certain point of view.

The fact is that ALL life has had an effect on earth. The fact that free oxygen exists in such large amounts here on Earth is a direct result of life using up CO2 and producing O2. Every inch of soil would NOT be here if it weren't for life. The Earth would look much more like mars, or venus, or whatever instead of the beautiful blue planet we have if it weren't fore life.

If the Earth wanted us dead, then it would want ALL life to be exterminated, as ALL of it is changing the Earth one way or another. And finally, why would the Earth even care? How is anything "Good for the earth"? The Earth is a big ball of gas, iron, and other assorted elements, not a living breathing thing. The only difference between Earth and Mars is their composition and position. I don't ever hear about anyone referring to Mars as being alive at some point in time and then dying off. Only about the possibility of life on Mars doing that, not the planet itself.

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying we aren't doing "Harm" to ourselves, other life, or the earth. So don't start.

Drakkith said:
Korben, what is the difference in humanity mining minerals and ores, and an earthquake causing them to be forced above ground? Only the fact that WE are doing it.

Beavers dam up rivers, birds take sticks and mud and such and build nests like we build houses, many creatures burrow through the ground and "destroy" it if you look at it from a certain point of view.

The fact is that ALL life has had an effect on earth. The fact that free oxygen exists in such large amounts here on Earth is a direct result of life using up CO2 and producing O2. Every inch of soil would NOT be here if it weren't for life. The Earth would look much more like mars, or venus, or whatever instead of the beautiful blue planet we have if it weren't fore life.

If the Earth wanted us dead, then it would want ALL life to be exterminated, as ALL of it is changing the Earth one way or another. And finally, why would the Earth even care? How is anything "Good for the earth"? The Earth is a big ball of gas, iron, and other assorted elements, not a living breathing thing. The only difference between Earth and Mars is their composition and position. I don't ever hear about anyone referring to Mars as being alive at some point in time and then dying off. Only about the possibility of life on Mars doing that, not the planet itself.

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying we aren't doing "Harm" to ourselves, other life, or the earth. So don't start.
But what about Gaia? Just kiddin', lol! Thank you for your broad insight. After seeing, reading and hearing all the doom-sayers, this draws things, for me, into a better, clearer, perspective. May I correlate the first statement of your post with the "La Brea Tar Pits"? Peace!

1. What is evolutionary speculation?

Evolutionary speculation is the process of using scientific evidence to make predictions and hypotheses about the evolution of species over time.

2. How is evolutionary speculation different from other scientific theories?

Evolutionary speculation is a unique type of scientific theory that relies on the use of evidence from the past to make predictions about the future. It also involves the use of comparative analysis and the study of genetic relationships between species.

3. Is evolutionary speculation considered a fact or just a theory?

Evolutionary speculation is considered a well-supported scientific theory, meaning that it is backed by a vast amount of evidence and has been extensively tested and supported by the scientific community.

4. What are some examples of evolutionary speculation in action?

One example of evolutionary speculation is the prediction that certain traits, such as the ability to fly, would have evolved independently in different species due to similar environmental pressures. Another example is the prediction of transitional fossil species based on the study of anatomical similarities between different species.

5. How does evolutionary speculation contribute to our understanding of the natural world?

Evolutionary speculation helps us to better understand the history and diversity of life on Earth. By studying the patterns and processes of evolution, we can gain valuable insights into the relationships between different species and how they have adapted and changed over time.