What is the impact speed of the proton in a 4850V capacitor?

In summary, a proton with a charge of 1.602*10^-19 C is fired into the center of a parallel-plate capacitor with a potential difference of 4850 V and a mass of 1.7*10^-27 kg at a speed of 2.81 * 10^5 m/s. The proton is deflected while inside the capacitor and will hit one of the plates before emerging from the far side. By using the equation Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf, it can be determined that the impact speed of the proton will be half of its initial speed, resulting in the correct answer.
prokaryote

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor is charged to 4850 V. A proton is fired into the center of the capacitor at a speed of v0=2.81 * 10^5 m/s. The proton is deflected while inside the capacitor, and the plates are long enough that the proton will hit one of them before emerging from the far side of the capacitor. What is the impact speed of the proton?

V = 4850 V
Vi = 2.81 * 10^5 m/s
charge of proton = 1.602*10^-19 C
mass of proton = 1.7*10^-27 kg

Homework Equations

Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf

The Attempt at a Solution

https://imgur.com/a/MIsUX
[/B]
I've checked my answer several times on both a mathematical and conceptual level, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

"Fired into the center" implies something about the potential difference between the starting point and the point where the proton hits the plate.

TSny said:
Hello.

"Fired into the center" implies something about the potential difference between the starting point and the point where the proton hits the plate.

Got it. I was going off of the erroneous assumption that the voltage is uniform throughout the capacitor. I halved the voltage (as it is in the center) and got the right answer. Thank you so much!

OK. Good.

1. What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle with a positive charge, found in the nucleus of an atom.

2. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by accumulating opposite charges on two conducting plates separated by an insulating material.

3. What is the impact speed of a proton in a 4850V capacitor?

The impact speed of a proton in a 4850V capacitor depends on factors such as the distance between the two plates, the electric field strength, and the mass of the proton. It can be calculated using the equation: v = √(2qV/m), where q is the charge of the proton, V is the voltage of the capacitor, and m is the mass of the proton.

4. Why is the impact speed of a proton in a 4850V capacitor important?

The impact speed of a proton in a 4850V capacitor is important because it affects the efficiency and performance of the capacitor. It also plays a role in various applications, such as particle accelerators and medical equipment.

5. How can the impact speed of a proton in a 4850V capacitor be measured?

The impact speed of a proton in a 4850V capacitor can be measured using various methods, such as using a particle detector or analyzing the trajectory of the proton as it passes through the capacitor. It can also be calculated using the appropriate equations and measurements of the capacitor's properties.