What is the impedance of the human body and why does it vary?

In summary: The main component is the resistance of the dead skin layer, stratum corneum (visible skin). Thickness will make a difference, as will sweat/dampness. Try wetting your skin with salt water, then measuring.If the test voltage is high enough, then the stratum corneum can be breached, at which point your resistance will drop dramatically - 1500 ohm is the figure I have, hand to hand. This can happen during a shock, where resistive heating burns away the stratum.Your meter uses about 6V dc to measure resistance, but a mains shock involves much higher voltages, and ac. As well as the effects above, you can pass current capacitively,
Nathi ORea
TL;DR Summary
What is the electrical resistance across the human body
I was researching what the total electrical resistance of the human body was and got some quite far ranging values. It seems to range from 1, OOO to 1OO,OOO ohms. Some quite elaborate ways of testing it too.

Then I thought I'd just get the old multimeter out. I have two and both measured about the same. Depending on the part of the body, it was about 2 Mohm to about 15 Mohm. I tried my dog too, but it kept reading over limit.

This seems like I would be able to grab mains power quite easy and not even feel it? I = 24O/2,OOO,OOO = .12 mA?

Is this right? What am I missing?

Likes Delta2
Engineering news on Phys.org
The value varies because there are so many factors involved.

The main component is the resistance of the dead skin layer, stratum corneum (visible skin). Thickness will make a difference, as will sweat/dampness. Try wetting your skin with salt water, then measuring.

If the test voltage is high enough, then the stratum corneum can be breached, at which point your resistance will drop dramatically - 1500 ohm is the figure I have, hand to hand. This can happen during a shock, where resistive heating burns away the stratum.

Your meter uses about 6V dc to measure resistance, but a mains shock involves much higher voltages, and ac. As well as the effects above, you can pass current capacitively, charging and discharging on each half of the mains cycle.

So your effective resistance (impedance) depends not only on your own factors, but also on the characteristics of the voltage source.

Research, and play with your meter, by all means, but don’t go touching the mains.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, davenn, DaveE and 4 others
Thanks so much for that. So you’re saying that resistance lowers under high ac? I think now I remember seeing a YouTube vid on this I’ll have to try and find. Something about the effects of ac vs dc on the body.

you don’t have to worry about me playing with mains;). I barely trust myself with an Arduino.

Thanks again

Likes Delta2
Nathi ORea said:
Summary:: What is the electrical resistance across the human body

Then I thought I'd just get the old multimeter out. I have two and both measured about the same. Depending on the part of the body, it was about 2 Mohm to about 15 Mohm. I tried my dog too, but it kept reading over limit.
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use your dog as a multimeter... :wink:

• Haha
Likes Nathi ORea
berkeman said:
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use your dog as a multimeter... :wink:

I was told each mm of pupil dilation was a kohm 🧐.

You just need to give your dog a teaspoon of brine and have the lights medium bright.

🤪

• Haha
Likes DaveE and berkeman
For above 1 kV substation IEEE 80 considered an average body resistance but BS EN 50522 states a relation between touch voltage and body impedance:
IEEE 80/2013 IEEE Guide for Safety in AC Substation Grounding

7.1 Resistance of the human body
For dc and 50 Hz or 60 Hz ac currents, the human body can be approximated by a resistance. The current path typically considered is from one hand to both feet, or from one foot to the other one. The internal resistance of the body is approximately 300 Ω, whereas values of body resistance including skin range from 500 Ω to 3000 Ω, as suggested in Daziel [B27], Geddes and Baker [B75], Gieiges [B76], Kiselev [B97], and Osypka [B121]. The human body resistance is decreased by damage or puncture of the skin at the point of contact.

A value of 1000 Ω in Equation (10), which represents the resistance of a human body from hand-to-feet and also from hand-to-hand, or from one foot to the other foot, will be used throughout this guide.

BS EN 50522/2012 Earthing of power installations exceeding 1 kV a.c.

Attachments

• Total human body impedance EN 50522.jpg
    Total human body impedance EN 50522.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 378
The question of what is the impedance of the human body can get pretty complex (get it? LOL). It has been investigated for safety as well as medical diagnostic reasons. For example, here is a short paper (chosen mostly at random). There's lots of other material on the web.

Likes Nathi ORea

1. What is the resistance of a human body?

The resistance of a human body refers to the measure of how difficult it is for electricity to pass through the body. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and can vary depending on factors such as body composition, moisture, and contact points.

2. How does the resistance of a human body affect electrical safety?

The resistance of a human body is an important factor in determining the potential harm of an electrical shock. The higher the resistance, the lower the current that can flow through the body, reducing the risk of injury or death. However, factors such as voltage, duration of exposure, and pathway of the current also play a role in electrical safety.

3. What is the typical range of resistance for a human body?

The average resistance of a human body is around 100,000 Ω, but can range from 1,000 Ω to 100,000,000 Ω depending on various factors. For example, dry skin has a higher resistance compared to wet skin, and a person's height and weight can also affect their resistance.

4. How can the resistance of a human body be measured?

The resistance of a human body can be measured using a multimeter, which is a device that measures electrical properties such as resistance, voltage, and current. The multimeter is placed in series with the body and a small current is passed through to measure the resistance.

5. Can the resistance of a human body change?

Yes, the resistance of a human body can change depending on various factors such as body composition, moisture, and contact points. For example, if a person's skin is wet, their resistance will decrease. Additionally, certain medical conditions or injuries can also affect the resistance of the body.