What is the Implicit Differentiation of (x + y)sin(xy) = 1?

• Thread starter james.farrow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Implicit
In summary: If (x + y)sin(xy) = 1 find dy/dx.It looks to me as I should use the product rule.d/dx(x + y) I get 1 + dy/dx.Now this is where it gets kinda tricky.d/dx sin(xy) its the fuction of a function I think!I get (eventually) cos(xy)xdy/dx + yNow putting it all together and using the prod rule as 1st stated my final effort isdy/dx = -y -sin(xy)/(x +y)cos(
james.farrow
I have a question thus:

If (x + y)sin(xy) = 1 find dy/dx.

It looks to me as I should use the product rule.

d/dx(x + y) I get 1 + dy/dx

Now this is where it gets kinda tricky.

d/dx sin(xy) its the fuction of a function I think!

I get (eventually) cos(xy)xdy/dx + y

Now putting it all together and using the prod rule as 1st stated my final effort is

dy/dx = -y -sin(xy)/(x +y)cos(xy)x + sin(xy)

Can any shed some light on my work so far!

Cheers

Jimmy

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you understand the relevant calculus here!

Alas, your arithmetic needs some work -- some of the equations you've written are wrong. The one I looked at could be just that you forgot to use parentheses. But it could also be the result of a different arithmetic error, I can't tell which.

You're right, you do have to use the product rule, but remember the product rule is

(uv)` = uv` + vu`

It's a bit hard to follow your work, but it looks like you differentiated both "products" and then multiplied them together which would be wrong. Also, looking at your derivatives, perhaps you just forgot to write them out, but don't forget when you use the chain rule when finding d/dx(sinxy) you must distribute cos(xy) to the inner quantity. Sometimes implicit differentiation can get a bit complicated and messy... It might make it a bit more clear if you let u = x+y, and v = sin(xy), find u` and v` and plug then back into the formula above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers eveyone, I have taken heed of your advice and have had another go at it, and yes my final answer was a little different...

I will post my efforts when I get 5 minutes...

Thanks for your help

James

Related to What is the Implicit Differentiation of (x + y)sin(xy) = 1?

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical process that allows us to find the derivative of an equation that cannot be easily solved for a single variable. This often occurs when the equation contains multiple variables or when the dependent variable is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when we need to find the derivative of an equation that cannot be solved for a single variable, for example, when finding the slope of a curve or the rate of change of a function.

3. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

The main difference between implicit and explicit differentiation is that in explicit differentiation, the dependent variable is written explicitly in terms of the independent variable, while in implicit differentiation, the dependent variable is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable.

4. What are the steps for implicit differentiation?

The steps for implicit differentiation are as follows:1. Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable.2. Use the chain rule when differentiating any terms with multiple variables.3. Collect terms with the derivative of the dependent variable on one side of the equation.4. Solve for the derivative of the dependent variable.

5. Why is implicit differentiation important in science?

Implicit differentiation is important in science because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function or the slope of a curve when the equation cannot be easily solved for a single variable. This is often the case in real-world problems where variables are interconnected and cannot be isolated. Implicit differentiation also has applications in physics, engineering, and economics, among other fields.