What is the Initial Speed and Time for a Baseball to Clear a Wall in a Home Run?

• Thread starter Debate123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a ball player hits a home run with the ball clearing a 20.9 m high wall located 131.0 m from home plate. The ball is hit at a 35° angle to the horizontal with no air resistance and a starting height of 0.9 m. The initial speed of the ball is 41.7 m/s and it takes 3.81 seconds to reach the wall. Upon reaching the wall, the ball has x and y velocity components of 34.2 m/s and -13.4 m/s, respectively, and a total speed of 36.7 m/s.
Debate123

Homework Statement

A ball player hits a home run, and the baseball just clears a wall 20.9 m high located 131.0 m from home plate. The ball is hit an an angle of 35° to the horizontal, and air resistance is negligible. Assume the ball is hit at a height of 0.9 m above the ground.
(a) What is the initial speed?
m/s
(b) How much time does it take for the ball to reach the wall?
s
(c) Find the components of the velocity and the speed of the ball when it reaches the wall
vy,f = m/s
vx,f = m/s
vf = m/s

Homework Equations

vi(intial velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 8.5 seconds for the time but that's apparently not right and it's prohibiting me from further progress.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Debate123! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

Dx+Vxi*t
DX=Vx*CoS35.t
!3!+Vxcos35.tw
Vi+131?Cos35.tw

20.9+-4.9t^2+sin35/Cos35+.09
20.9=-4.9tw2+65.1385/.8191+.09
20.9=-4.9tw^2+91.727+0.9
20.9-92.627=tw^2
tw=sqrt71.727
tw=8.46(deemed wrong by my webassign)

Debate123 said:
20.9=-4.9tw2+65.1385/.8191+.09

i think you may have entered 113 instead of 131 :wink:

I still don't know to fix my problem entirely, there's 5 parts and I can't even get 1

Can someone show me the time so I can finish the problem myself please?

NVM figured it put by myself
a) Initial ball speed: 41.7 m/s
b) Time for ball to reach wall: 3.81 s
c) x velocity-component: 34.2 m/s
y velocity-component: -13.4 m/s
Speed of the ball: 36.7 m/s

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a specific direction. In other words, speed is a scalar quantity and velocity is a vector quantity.

2. How is speed calculated?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula for speed is: speed = distance/time.

3. What is the relationship between speed and time?

The relationship between speed and time is directly proportional. This means that as speed increases, time decreases and vice versa. This can be represented by the formula: speed = distance/time.

4. How does acceleration affect speed and time?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. If an object is accelerating, its speed and/or direction will change over time. This means that the speed of an accelerating object will increase or decrease over time, depending on the direction of the acceleration.

5. How does distance affect speed and time?

Distance can affect speed and time in various ways. For example, if the distance is increased and the time remains the same, the speed will increase. On the other hand, if the distance is decreased and the time remains the same, the speed will decrease. Similarly, if the time is increased and the distance remains the same, the speed will decrease. And if the time is decreased and the distance remains the same, the speed will increase. Overall, distance and time have an inverse relationship with speed.