What Is the Issue with Scalar Loop Corrections in Non-Abelian SU(N) Theories?

In summary, the student is trying to figure out what is wrong with their calculations after adding the contributions from the diagrams shown. They are not able to factorize their result and think the problem is due to a missing 1/6 S term.
idmena
Hello all, I hope you can give me a hand with a QFT homework I'm working on. We are to compute the beta equation of a Non-abelian SU(N) theory with: Complex scalars (massless), bosons, ghosts. My question is referring to the Boson self-energy scalar loop correction.

1. Homework Statement

We have the boson self energy correction involving a scalar loop.
This loop is formed of 2 3-vertex of Boson-scalar-scalar:
scalar_loop.jpg

Homework Equations

The Feynman rules I derived for this diagrams are:
feynman_rules.jpg

Where solid lines are scalars and dashed lines are ghosts.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I get:
boson_selfe.jpg

(We are setting the scalars to be massless). I know the boson loop and the ghost loop are corrrect as I checked them on a book (I'm using Bailin & Love).
The reason of my confusion is, when I add them all I get, besides some factors:
zeta_boson.jpg

But on the lecture our teacher told us we should get:
image.png

I have a sign and a factor on 2 wrong, and It's coming from the scalar loop diagram.

As we can see from the feynman rules, the 3-vertex for boson-scalar is the same as the one for boson-ghost, except for a factor. Doesn't these mean that both self-energy corrections should give me the same answer, except for such factor? And, therefore, if I know the ghost loop is correct, then I also know the scalar loop should have the same form (given the scalars are massless, as mentioned previously). But then, I am missing the (-) sign and the factor of two.

Can you help me with this please? Can someone confirm the Feynman rule I got for boson-scalar-scalar is correct? If so, where might the problem be?

Thank you very much
Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
idmena said:
Hello all, I hope you can give me a hand with a QFT homework I'm working on. We are to compute the beta equation of a Non-abelian SU(N) theory with: Complex scalars (massless), bosons, ghosts. My question is referring to the Boson self-energy scalar loop correction.

Hi, I am trying to make sure I understand the question correctly. Where exactly do you think you are off by a factor of 2 and a minus sign? What do you get for your ##Z_3##? (I can see what I would get using your expression but I want to make sure we are on the same wavelength in terms of notation)

nrqed said:
Hi, I am trying to make sure I understand the question correctly. Where exactly do you think you are off by a factor of 2 and a minus sign? What do you get for your ##Z_3##? (I can see what I would get using your expression but I want to make sure we are on the same wavelength in terms of notation)

Adding the contributions from the diagrams shown, I get what is shown in the first line of the last pic:
boson_terms.png

The counter term in my lagrangean should look like:
(propagator) * (something)

So, at this point I would like to have something like:
hope.png

Alas, I cannot do this becuase there is a 1/6 S that does not let me factorize my result like this. That term comes from the scalar loop, that is why I think that is the prpblem.

By the way, I should've mentioned before that I am working in Feynman gauge, so I should only have the propagator counter-term, not a gauge fixing counter-term.

Related to What Is the Issue with Scalar Loop Corrections in Non-Abelian SU(N) Theories?

1. What is Scalar QCD renormalization?

Scalar QCD renormalization is a mathematical technique used in quantum chromodynamics (QCD) to remove infinities from calculations and make predictions about the behavior of scalar particles.

2. Why is Scalar QCD renormalization important?

Scalar QCD renormalization is important because it allows for more accurate predictions about the behavior of scalar particles, which are fundamental to our understanding of the universe and play a crucial role in many physical phenomena.

3. How does Scalar QCD renormalization work?

Scalar QCD renormalization involves using a set of mathematical equations to remove infinities from calculations and make predictions about the behavior of scalar particles. This is achieved through a process known as regularization, where the infinities are replaced with finite values.

4. What are the benefits of Scalar QCD renormalization?

The benefits of Scalar QCD renormalization include more accurate predictions about the behavior of scalar particles, which can lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces in the universe. It also allows for the calculation of physical quantities that would otherwise be infinite.

5. What are some applications of Scalar QCD renormalization?

Scalar QCD renormalization has a wide range of applications in particle physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It is used to study the properties of hadrons, such as protons and neutrons, and to understand the behavior of matter at high temperatures and densities, such as in the early universe or in the core of neutron stars.