What is the Laplace Transform of the Sinc Function?

In summary, there was a discussion about the Laplace transform and how it relates to the inverse tangent function. It was concluded that the Laplace transform of the sinc function is indeed the inverse cotangent function. There was also a brief discussion about the constant of integration in definite integrals.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Just out of curiosity, I've been looking into the Laplace transform and noticed that...

[tex]\mathcal{L}(sin(t))=\frac{1}{s^2+1}=\frac{d}{ds}(tan^{-1}(s))[/tex]

So, I was wondering if the Laplace transform of the sinc function was the inverse tangent function. In LaTEX...

[tex]\mathcal{L}(sinc(t))=tan^{-1}(s)[/tex]

In short, is the above a true statement?

Physics news on Phys.org
Close, I think you get [itex]\cot^{-1}(s)=\frac{\pi}{2}-\tan^{-1}(s)[/itex] when you do the integration properly.

[tex]\mathcal{L}\left[\frac{f(t)}{t}\right]=\int_s^\infty F(\sigma)d\sigma[/tex]

You're missing a minus sign and the constant of integration. To get the correct result you will have to find that constant.

Wait, constant of integration? I thought that in a definite integral, the constant of integration would cancel out...

And yeah, I see that I got something wrong there gabba. I integrated from 0 to s, instead of from s to infinity. Doing it again, you're right. Here's the true statement, I guess:

[tex]\mathcal{L}(sinc(t))=cot^{-1}(s)[/tex]

I love it when I put in a trig function and get out a trig function.

Char.Limit said:
Wait, constant of integration? I thought that in a definite integral, the constant of integration would cancel out...

Yes I was under the impression you did something else than using the identity in post #2 namely.

I thought you had noticed that if

[tex]
f(s)=\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin (t)}{t} e^{-s t} ds
[/tex]

then

[tex]
f'(s)=-\int_0^\infty \sin( t )e^{-s t} ds = - \frac{d}{ds} \arctan s
[/tex]

from this it follows that

[tex]
f(s)=-\arctan s+c
[/tex]

but [itex]f(\infty)= 0[/itex] therefore [itex]c=\pi/2[/itex] and finally [itex]f(s)=\pi/2-\arctan s=\text{arccot} s[/itex]

Edit: Whoops this post was a bit premature. I thought you finished in post #4, but seeing as you finished while I was fixing my tex I won't edit this post.

Last edited:
And then lastly, [tex]F(s)=\frac{\pi}{2} - tan^{-1}(s)=cot^{-1}(s)[/tex], right?

Related to What is the Laplace Transform of the Sinc Function?

1. What is the Laplace Transform of sin(t)/t?

The Laplace Transform of sin(t)/t is equal to 1/sqrt(s^2+1). It is a mathematical tool used to convert a function in the time domain to its equivalent representation in the frequency domain.

2. Why is the Laplace Transform of sin(t)/t important?

The Laplace Transform is important because it allows us to solve differential equations, which are commonly used to model real-world systems, in a more efficient and straightforward manner. It also helps us analyze the behavior of systems in the frequency domain.

3. How is the Laplace Transform of sin(t)/t derived?

The Laplace Transform of sin(t)/t can be derived using the definition of Laplace Transform and the trigonometric identity of sin(x)/x. It involves integrating the function from 0 to infinity and solving the resulting integral.

4. What is the significance of the s variable in the Laplace Transform of sin(t)/t?

The s variable in the Laplace Transform represents the frequency domain variable. It is a complex variable that can be used to analyze the behavior of a system in terms of its frequency response. It is also known as the complex frequency.

5. Can the Laplace Transform of sin(t)/t be used to solve any type of differential equation?

No, the Laplace Transform can only be used to solve linear differential equations with constant coefficients and initial conditions. It is not applicable to solve non-linear or time-varying differential equations.