What is the lenght of the lever arm? (when torque and force are given)

In summary, the problem is finding the length of the lever arm that must be used to exert a torque of 55N.m with a maximum force of 135N. The equations lever arm=(r)(sin) and torque=(force)(r)(sin) can be used to solve for the lever arm, but the problem statement is not clear on the angle theta, so it must be assumed that the force is applied perpendicular to the arm. This means that the lever arm is the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the axis of rotation.
DeeAussie

Homework Statement

If a torque of 55N.m is required and the largest force that can be exerted by you is 135N, what is the length of the lever arm that must be used?

Homework Equations

Lever Arm=(r)(sin)
Torque=(Force)(r)(sin)

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I'm stumped

Physics news on Phys.org
The answers are in the formulas you've posted. If lever arm = r sin theta, and torque = force * r sin theta, then torque = force * lever arm. Since you know torque and force, you can solve for lever arm.

kelly_kelly said:
The answers are in the formulas you've posted. If lever arm = r sin theta, and torque = force * r sin theta, then torque = force * lever arm. Since you know torque and force, you can solve for lever arm.
That's not quite right, and neither is the problem statement very clear. if T=rFsintheta, then you need to know theta in order to solve for r, where r is the length of the lever arm, unless one assumes that the force is applied perendicular to the arm. Is theta given in the problem?

PhanthomJay said:
That's not quite right, and neither is the problem statement very clear. if T=rFsintheta, then you need to know theta in order to solve for r, where r is the length of the lever arm, unless one assumes that the force is applied perendicular to the arm. Is theta given in the problem?

Everything I listed was what was given so I guess you do have to assume perpendicular?

DeeAussie said:
Everything I listed was what was given so I guess you do have to assume perpendicular?
I looked up the definition of 'lever arm' on several web sites, and discovered that some call it the length of the position vector between the point of application of the load and the axis of rotation (Wiki) while others call it the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the axis of rotation. I tend not to trust Wiki most of the time (they take a simple topic and make it as complex as is humanly possible), so let's go with the latter. In which case the lever arm is __________(fill in the blank).

1. What is a lever arm?

A lever arm, also known as a moment arm, is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force.

2. How is torque related to the lever arm?

Torque is directly proportional to the lever arm. The longer the lever arm, the greater the torque.

3. Can the lever arm affect the amount of force needed to produce torque?

Yes, the longer the lever arm, the less force is needed to produce the same amount of torque. This is because the torque equation is torque = force x lever arm, so a longer lever arm will result in a smaller force needed for the same amount of torque.

4. How is the lever arm measured?

The lever arm is measured as the shortest distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force. It is typically measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm).

5. What is the importance of knowing the length of the lever arm?

Knowing the length of the lever arm is important in understanding the principles of torque and how it affects mechanical systems. It is also crucial in designing and analyzing machines and structures to ensure they can withstand the forces and torques acting upon them.